• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

sun 14/06/12

Perkil8r

a couple of goes, single exposure @100 iso, 1/4000 sec, modded 350d on sw200p with baader film. processed in ps5 cs

2x barlow:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not actually all that happy, I feel the ones I took last month were better. Below is an image I just botched together for my facebook page to give an idea of scale. The blue earth like thing above and to the right of the big sunspot is to scale and is an image of the earth! Mind bending how big stuff is up there!!

Nice captures.

I know what you mean about the close-ups, it might be worth trying to get 10 or 20 images and stacking.

I think your focus is more or less spot on but remember the sun creates a lot of turbulence at its surface (cause there is a bit of heat there!).

Had a play with some subs. Now stacked 5 images, all at ISO100 1/4000 sec, full 200mm apature. Stacked in Registax5.1 (can't get 6.0 to work) curves and stuff in ps5 cs extended.

Feel a bit happier now I think. I really want to play with a lot of apature cut to see if I can bring out more contrast.

Fantastic improvement.

Are you tempted to add some colour?

I did have a quick play with colour, but it looked too false so I decided to leave it as white. I might have another play later today though.

Thanks for the coments. I feel there is more to get from my set up yet, I am determined to make a mask to cut the apature right down in an attempt to gain more contrast. When looking through the EP with the 2" cut, I can see more detail, even begining to get some granulation, so I'm sure if I cut it enough I can get this to come through on the pictures. I also need to figure a way to get a filter in the train so I can try some shots with the green 58 filter Stephen reccomended.

Had a play with false colour, not sure I like it TBH

Edited by Perkil8r

I'm undecided at the minute, not sure if I like false colour or not. It is growing on me though, each time I look back at what I've done here I like it a bit more. I guess it's because of the uncertainty of not knowing what colour I should be aiming at if that makes sense.

Nice with the colour. I am a fan of Black & White images but the colour seems more natural.

Those in the know tend to give the sun a slight Salmon/pink tinge when adding colour.

Idea - steel the colour from someone else's dmk colour image. :ph34r:

Thanks for the votes of confidence folks. I am now swinging towards false colour myself now.