• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The California Nebula in RGB Mosaic

Joe

2 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

well done joe thats a lot of work hats off looking superb 

Thank You very much 🙂 

• Like 1

Excellent.

One of the best image's i've seen on here this year.

If it doesn't win POTM i'll want to know why ?

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Excellent.

One of the best image's i've seen on here this year.

If it doesn't win POTM i'll want to know why ?

Thanks a lot.

I'm not finished with the picture yet don't worry 😉

Really excellent Joe, a great job. Lovely handling of the colour, and well done for the planning and persistence to bring this off.

What software did you use to stitch the images? You’ve made a good job of it

I used Microsoft image composite editor or ICE. its pretty good at what it does but I would not suggest it for such a large mosaic like this. The max I'd do is 2x2. It's just hard to get the accuracy in the stars.

Chucks astrophotography did a video on it once that's pretty good:

He starts with how he captured the individual images, then he shows how he used ICE

Hi Joe,

Thanks Joe, I've had a quick look, looks interesting, I'll download it and give it a try. I've recently started using Sequence Generator Pro, which has a mosaic wizard, which will generate the requisite overlaps.

Assuming that a series of stacked images are created for the mosaic, do you stack them before stretching, or after?

Thanks

Dave

5 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Assuming that a series of stacked images are created for the mosaic, do you stack them before stretching, or after?

Im not too sure. If you have gradients in your images like I did or the stars are not very bright like in a narrowband image, I would stitch them after stretching.Just make sure your background brightness and colour levels are the same. I think doing mosaics in narrowband is easier due to less gradients but i've never done one.