• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello world!

Coyo

EAST MIDLANDS STARGAZING

Hi, everybody.

I’ve been an amateur astronomer since being a kid back in the fifties. Even back then the legendary Patrick Moore was on TV. His enthusiasm was an early inspiration.

An early memory is of dad and me out in the back garden trying to get some shots of comet Arend-Roland in the Spring of 1957.

I spent many hours as a teenager in the early sixties with my 3” refractor learning the night sky pretty thoroughly.

My early ambition to be a pro astronomer led me to a degree in physics at Leeds but after graduating I drifted off course and ended up in industry. 

Always kept an interest in all things astronomical and carried on observing often with a good pair of 10x50s. A present from my daughter of a 6” reflector and a later purchase of a 12” reflector have augmented my firepower in recent years.

With partner Alison I’ve travelled to the eclipses of 2012 in Queensland and 2016 in North Carolina. I’ve viewed the dark skies at Lake Tekapo and in the Atacama Desert where we were treated to jaw dropping views of the Sagittarius/Scorpius  region of the Milky Way as it passed overhead.

Hugely impressed by some of the images posted here by the astrophotography wizards. I hope to pick up some tips as I’d like to try it myself.

Look forward to talking with you.

A very warm welcome to EMS, sounds an interesting life you've had! 

Where are you located now and what astro gear do you have?

Lots of like minded and knowledgeable folk on here so ask away!

Cheers

Ron 

Thanks for your welcome, folks.

I should have said that I am based at Gretton near Corby. I take binoculars and telescopes out to the hill overlooking the next village of Harringworth to get away from the streetlights. Not too bad a vantage point apart from the glow from Corby taking out the lower South Western sky.

It is indeed,Ron. A magnificent structure rendered even more picturesque by the recent flooding of the Welland.

I was hoping to post a picture Here but the insert via URL doesn’t seem to be working. I’ll try it on the Mac tomorrow.

I upload my photos to Flickr then just past the link in to your post and it will auto embed.

Edited by tuckstar

Great photo! I used go birding regularly in Wakeley Wood nearby and at Fineshades when they were doing the Red kite releases..

Ron

I’m quite often out that way myself. It’s a pleasant bike ride out to Fineshade. The kites are flourishing in this area. We’ve seen groups of a couple of dozen and more round Laxton at the edge of Wakerley woods. A hugely successful program.