• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Drives for cameras query

Coyo

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I’ve taken a few photos through various telescopes without drives but never seriously got into imaging.

I’m hugely impressed by some of the images I’ve seen posted here and I’d like to at least try to get a decent image or two.

What I want to do is try some shots just with a camera on a drive and then try some stacking (no, never tried that before either.)

I will use a Canon EOS 550D.

The question is which drive to go for? I’ve been looking at the Skywatcher Star Adventurer. Any thoughts?

As for computers I’m in the Apple camp. It seems most of the stacking software is Windows only so I guess the solution is Windows environment by virtual machine or boot camp. Not a major problem but maybe somebody knows about magic software for a Mac.......

If this proves a fun thing to do I may become more ambitious and start thinking about a telescope set up.

Any thoughts and opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Hi Coyo, I have a SW Adventurer and I am pleased with it. I've done some widefield shots and some star trailing, both are quite easy.

Make sure if you get this mount, that you get an 'illuminator' for the polar scope. very cheap but makes setting up the mount for photography a lot easier!!

Ron 

There's a chap on here who i believe uses Mac stacking software.

Look on the Mac App store for Starry Sky Stacker / StarryLandscapeStacker

I'm thinking about buying it myself......

Thanks Bino-viewer and Bottletopburly. Very useful information. I have downloaded Starry Sky Stacker which is development of Starry Landscape stacker apparently. I will look into Siril which seems an interesting one. All I have to do now is get some photos.....

Another Star adventurer owner here. It's a great little tracker.

I believe Chris P is a Mac user. You might want to message him with regards astro software.

What focal length and f number lens do you intend to use?  Both will inflence how accurate the drive needs to track the stars which is dependant on polar alignment and periodic error.

Thanks for the information 8472 Kev. I will take a look around the software myself first but have noted Chris P as a potential source of help.

Clive thanks for your interest. I have two lenses that I use with the Canon EOS 550D. A Canon 75 - 300mm, f4 - 5.6 and a Tamron 18 - 200mm f3.5 - 6.3.