• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A Couple of Questions

Nightspore

I’m just wondering about a couple of things (it's that time of the year).

Is the much vaunted Edmund Optics 28mm EFL Mounted, RKE Precision Eyepiece 2” or 1.25”? Does anyone own one or used one? They seem to have reached a mythical status.

t4BECYU.png

https://www.edmundoptics.eu/p/28mm-efl-mounted-rke-precision-eyepiece/1913/

Many claim the Orion Tri-Mag 3x Barlow is even better than the TV x3 Barlow. I’ve owned the TV3x for a number of years and it’s probably the best 3x Barlow I’ve used. Unfortunately it is a bit tall (13cm) for diagonals and it won’t focus in my 150mm, f/6, Newtonian. As Orion don't actually manufacture anything themselves this must be made somewhere in the PRC. Are there other versions of it? If there are I bet they're even cheaper lol. Does anyone have a Tri-Mag?

zMFjTHvt.png

https://www.telescope.com/Orion-Tri-Mag-125-3x-Barlow-Lens/p/8704.uts

The 28 Edmunds are 1.25"

They retail at £79 each, or they did.

I brought a pair 4 years ago to try in the bino, but didn't really take to them.

The widely reported 'floating effect' was not all that noticable to me.

They are well made and nice and light and were, i thought. very sharp. They are quite striking too, with their red knurled bands.

But i much prefer the 65º fov class of eyepiece, and when someone posted a 'wanted ad' for a pair, i sold them on.

If you buy a pair, make your you order the 'mounted' version. They come bare bones, ie no end caps, and are supplied with some horrible excuse of an eye guard,

with are not fit for purpose. I got a pair of bolt cases from eBay to store them in.

A few piccies....

46757079931_092b0d645d_c.jpg46757080161_7fc471e36d_c.jpg32480707337_25b3c0a979_c.jpg46507415355_aec1e35344_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

OK thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I've read they're not to everyone's tastes, although they seem to have a fanatical following. I was hoping they were 2" and could be a lightweight EP for my 72ED.

They do come up second hand from time to time.

Maybe worth a punt. You may love them ! 😀

Certainly a lightweight option for your stated scope, and it would give you exactly 15x magnification, which is perhaps a little low. It may be better suited in your Mak ?

rUR1OrGm.jpg

These are ideal rich field for the ED72. 15x and 30x are nice magnifications. The 28mm is heavy though. I also use a 36mm Baader Aspheric.

rcgYdn3m.jpg

The 28mm LET has a 31mm field stop, that's difficult to beat!

• Like 2