• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mercury Transit

I normally have Mondays off. The weather forecast is sunny intervals and showers, so I have a chance of catching a few shots but will not see the event from first contact to sunset. I will concentrate on white light.

I’ve made a solar filter and was hoping to get my first view of Mercury and the Sun. However, it’s very cloudy in Nottingham, and don’t think the forecast is that good either. Planning to just wait and see if it clears up here, or whether there is somewhere nearby with clearer skies at the time. There didn’t seem to be anywhere nearby with a decent forecast when I looked earlier.

Tim

Oh well, had a 30 minute break in the cloud ending at 12:34. Thick cloud and rain blowing through now. At least I managed to test my filter out. Hopefully there will be another short break before the end of the transit.

Got 10 minutes or so, missed first contact but saw tge tear drop effect. Using my vintage 80mm F15 Towa with Lunt wedge. Good views with Delite 18.2mm despite bad atmospherics. No sunspots evident but granulation on sun disc. Given up now, deep cloud plus a few rain spots

Managed to get a 10 minute break in the cloud and rain as well. Based upon my later observation I actually think I caught a glimpse of first contact just before the clouds first blew across. Hope everyone else had/has some good luck with clear skies too.

Cheers,

Tim

We got some long breaks in the cloud here in Gretton. I set up the 6” reflector and projected the image.  First shots were taken soon after first contact. The others around 3.00pm.

49049159758_6ed188cfa0_b.jpg

49049653636_9aa402e9b3_b.jpg

49049888372_17d2f59197_b.jpg

49049676016_580ef160bf_b.jpg