We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Sunny Phil

Mercury Transit

Sunny Phil

I normally have Mondays off. The weather forecast is sunny intervals and showers, so I have a chance of catching a few shots but will not see the event from first contact to sunset. I will concentrate on white light.

David Talbot

Cloud and rain forecast for Wirksworth and can't stray too far as I'll be working from home,

AstroTim

I’ve made a solar filter and was hoping to get my first view of Mercury and the Sun. However, it’s very cloudy in Nottingham, and don’t think the forecast is that good either. Planning to just wait and see if it clears up here, or whether there is somewhere nearby with clearer skies at the time. There didn’t seem to be anywhere nearby with a decent forecast when I looked earlier.

Tim

Sunny Phil

Broken cloud here in Chippenham, Wiltshire. Just grabbing a quick lunch before pre-launch checks!

AstroTim

Oh well, had a 30 minute break in the cloud ending at 12:34. Thick cloud and rain blowing through now. At least I managed to test my filter out. Hopefully there will be another short break before the end of the transit.

philjay

Got 10 minutes or so, missed first contact but saw tge tear drop effect. Using my vintage 80mm F15 Towa with Lunt wedge. Good views with Delite 18.2mm despite bad atmospherics. No sunspots evident but granulation on sun disc. Given up now, deep cloud plus a few rain spots

AstroTim

Managed to get a 10 minute break in the cloud and rain as well. Based upon my later observation I actually think I caught a glimpse of first contact just before the clouds first blew across. Hope everyone else had/has some good luck with clear skies too.

Cheers,

Tim

Ron Clarke

Got a few minutes visual then while setting up the DSLR on the scope the clouds rolled in!!