Jump to content
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!


Sign in to follow this  

M31 (at last!)

Recommended Posts


So that's another lesson learnt - let everything stabilise to the outside temperature before starting imaging!  The camera and lens came out of the house just before I started imaging (in an attempt to prolong the time before everything dewed up - which in hindsight I didn't need to worry about) so slowly dropped from 20C 'ish to 0C over the 2 hour imaging period.  Looking at the DSS information, the FWHM for the first image was 4 pixels and slowly increased image by image to more than 10 pixels with a corresponding drop in the number of stars detected.  Having now acquired the matching darks, I've had chance to play about with the image.  The image below is a stack of the first 24 (of 40) exposures which seems to be the best compromise between reduced star diameter and increased noise.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.