• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiece recommendation

Astronigel

The obvious are teleview ethos, but they are very expensive, I went for the explore scientific 100° and have been very happy with them with my 10 " dob. A little bit of coma but that's the scope not the eyepieces, and I'm hoping Santa Clause will be sorting that for me😉. I know they can be expensive but I'll not need to get any others for a long while, if ever. Sky watcher do a decent 100° but I can't remember the name😯 Myriad??.  The views through a 100° plus, are like looking through a porthole in to space, but not to everyone's taste. If you can, get a look through some before spending too much. You would be welcome to look at my ES collection at a meet.

Edited by tuckstar

Depends on your scopes focal ratio.

If its an F4 or F5 something like a 35 Panoptic (as an example) will give you too big an exit pupil.

How big do your pupils dilate in the dark ? Unless you have eyes like a bushbaby some of that light may be wasted.

If its a Newtonian (i'm assuming it is) you may also see your secondary mirror in the eyepiece field of view (not nice)

I would look at the ES 82º or even 100º range. Theres other makes as well as the premium brands like Tele-vue.

Premium brands will hold their value as well.

I would also consider buying second hand as well. Plenty of bargains out there if you look around.

Hi, yes sorry.. I've a new addition to my telescopes.. A meade lightbridge 12"..f5..

The first mentioned eyepieces look great thank you but I have gone for a more modest option.. I've in past only had 1.25" plossls and couple of meade series types, and one flat field planetary... 

So for me it's a big upgrade to a 2" eyepiece.. I've purchased a skywatcher 38mm piano view.. 70 degree field.. 

Not yet used it as clouds or working... But I quite amazed to see the big viewing size it gives just looking through it in daylight.. Can't wait to use it

I were concerned about wasting highest fields due to exit pupil yes... This first decent (70 degree) I've had.. As said I'm more used to what are probably spare eyepieces.. Plossl types

The skywatcher panaview are not bad eyepieces. i recently sold my 32mm, but only because my es 20mm has the same fov and so it wasn't getting used. 

Your SW 38mm Panoview is a fine eyepiece but it will give you a 7.6mm exit pupil

I hope i'm wrong, time will tell, but i fear you may be able to see your scopes secondary mirror in the field of view.

I used to have a 31mm Nagler, (similar exit pupil)  but i had to sell it because i could no longer use it with my 12" F4.

With an F5 i wouldn't want to use anything more than 20 - 25mm.

Maybe thats just an issue that effects me, as i have pretty small pupils.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with it though.....