• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Progress of Mira Ceti

Coyo

Anyone else been keeping an eye on the Wonder star recently? It's been days since I saw any stars,  I'm assuming they're still there......

At the end of October Mira was a bright naked eye object by my very rough reckoning about as bright as Menkar, α Ceti, which would put it at around mag 2.5. My last view of it around a week ago suggested it was on a par with δ Ceti. 

There have been some very bright maxima in the past when the ruby coloured star completely alters the aspect of this rather faint part of the sky.

• Like 3

Its an amazing star, but i don't think i've actually seen it ?

I must track it down. It has a companion star but is only 0.6 arc seconds from Mira so may be very difficult to split.

Magnitude listed as +2.5 to +10.0   Thats quite a variation.

Some useful info here...

http://spider.seds.org/spider/Vars/mira.html

Not been watching lately but remember keeping an eye on it a few years ago. It certainly changes the area as you say, Ive had to do a double take a few times

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting page, Bino-viewer with some good links. It certainly is a massive variation.

The most up to date light curve I’ve found is this one going up to October this year and showing mag 3 and possibly rising which as I said is what I suspect.

cet-omi_2019a.png