• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

It's Christmas Time!

Craig

• Craig featured this topic

I get the lights and the snow in firefox - always cheers me up cos it feels like Christmas has arrived at last. Nice one Craig 🙂

• Like 2

I'm getting frosted 'glass' which moves as i scroll down and slightly blurred snow falling in the background (all clever stuff : i like it)

Lights are twinkling here, and i like the pile of snow on the EMS refractor logo.

All working fine on iMac / Safari.

Nice touches Craig. Thumbs up from me  👍🏼

Its Advent Calendar day today as well.

Apart from the usual chocolate one my other half has surprised me with this !! 

Cheers 😀🍸

49150829213_d5f870e788_b.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

On a more technical note Craig.........my iMac computer seems a bit 'laggy' when using the forum since the 'Christmas effects' have been in place ?

Images and text imput seem slower to load and write at times.

I've had the dreaded 'beachball of death' appear several times which makes things freeze a bit.

I've checked my system activity monitor and it says East Midlands Stargazers is using over 1Gb of ram at any one time

Is this normal ?

Switching off the effects cures the issue immediately.

Edited by Bino-viewer

The snow is an animated effect, so it will consume more resources than normal. If you experience problems ongoing then I'd suggest changing it to the other theme. I'm checking on my laptop and Chrome, which is a memory hog, is using about 400Mb of memory and about 70% of it's GPU power. It's rendering fine though.

I'd be interested to hear if anybody else is having issues. The snow is a nice effect, but not worth maintaining at the expense of performance so I'm quite happy to remove that element of it if necessary.

So far it seems OK on my iMac. I'll try Ubuntu next lol.

OKblHOsm.png

This looks suspiciously similar to the frost on my ED72 Friday morning.

Oh OK, the snow graphics are now inducing a vertigo attack. lol

Edited by Nightspore

I've made a second Christmas theme available, without the snow, due to some discomfort for some members. You'll find it in the theme selector at the bottom of the page. 🎅🏻

• Thanks 4

• Craig unfeatured this topic
On 03/12/2019 at 10:59, Craig said:

I've made a second Christmas theme available, without the snow, due to some discomfort for some members. You'll find it in the theme selector at the bottom of the page. 🎅🏻

Cool, I figured there was some tinkering happening. lol

OTy3ousm.png