• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Disapointing St80 Sun 18/06/12

Perkil8r

Knocked up a quick solar filter with the off cuts of Baader film for the st80 today. Thought I'd have a go, clouds kept rolling in and out, got 20 odd exposures all out of focus and just 2 in focus. All woefully over exposed, so that needs some playing with. Anyhoo, stacked the 2 in Registax and played with it in PS5, for some reason, it came out of Registax with real bad blockyness around the edge?

Here it is with false colour:

2 exposures 100 ISO, 1/400 secs. St80 with appature cut to the small cap with Baader Film.

Might have another go at processing later, not sure why Registax has left the blocks....

Had another quick play, got rid of the blocks this time, and noticed that clouds were just starting hence the wierd shadow type effects in the bottom and bottom right.

They're good shots Mike - I'd be well happy with what you've achieved using the ST80 :)

Thanks Kim, I'm happier with the second attempt at processing, not sure what happened the first time around. I know there is more to get from it if I can get more than 5 minutes alone with the scope, camera and sun without the damned clouds. I did find focus very difficult due to the smaller image and position etc, but hopefully it looks promising for tomorrow although the interesting sunspot groups appear to be disapearing now. Hopefully some more will appear though.

If it's sunny at the weekend I'll get the Lunt out and you'd be welcome to join us for a session - you'll be amazed at the extra stuff you can see in Ha :)

(also a longer focal length will reveal more)

May just take you up on that if it's saturday as I'm not working for a change! Thanks Kim :) although it will be a dangerous thing for me to look through a "real" solar scope :blink: you know it'll end in divorce when I realise I need one :lol:

Guest Fluke
If it's sunny at the weekend I'll get the Lunt out and you'd be welcome to join us for a session - you'll be amazed at the extra stuff you can see in Ha

(also a longer focal length will reveal more)

Kim I'd love to have a look through a real solar scope too (after seeing some of Steve's pics). Any chance you can bring it along to one of the next meets for a peep before sunset?

• 2 weeks later...

Both are good, I have had problems with registax stacking lunar and solar images, sometimes is does sometimes it won't play at all.

I've found that if there is a good enough reference, that manual alignment is the best way with registax. I had many problems with the random nature of registax before I figured the manual method.