• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

GON

Bassinghamobservatory

Did you use a Flattener/reducer Graham?

I have the same set up but am struggling with focusing !!

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke
added text

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Nice detail showing graham 👍

Thanks David.

3 hours ago, Ron Clarke said:

Did you use a Flattener/reducer Graham?

I have the same set up but am struggling with focusing !!

Ron

No flattener or reducer.

I use a bahtinov mask and bahtinov grabber software. The latter is no longer available as the website has closed down. I think it may be available through the APT capture software. My ED80 is an old blue tube model without the 2 speed focuser and I have attached a coffee jar lid to the wheel to aid fine focus. You are welcome to take a run up the A46 if you would like to visit my shed.

Graham

1 hour ago, Bassinghamobservatory said:

No flattener or reducer.

I use a bahtinov mask and bahtinov grabber software. The latter is no longer available as the website has closed down. I think it may be available through the APT capture software. My ED80 is an old blue tube model without the 2 speed focuser and I have attached a coffee jar lid to the wheel to aid fine focus. You are welcome to take a run up the A46 if you would like to visit my shed.

Graham

Nice image Graham, and an unusual orientation too.

Regarding focusing, the Bhatiniov aid in APT is very good. You put the mask on and get the usual 6 pointed star(ish). You then click bhatinov aid in the tools menu and move a window with a cross until it is positioned centrally on the 6points. You then press ‘Calculate’ and it gives you several indications as to how far out you are.. the first is numeric, you should try and reduce the number, but the best is two circles. Change the focus and try and get the two circles on top of each other..

Its really good

Thanks Graham I may do that, perhaps just after Xmas??

I use the Bat app in APT and the Focus app, as i use the Flattener it may be a 'spacer' problem with the cam.

I just read that there should be a 10 mm spacer if the flattener is used with a DSLR, never used one yet!!

Fascinating hobby this but frustrating sometimes!!

Cheers

Ron

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Very nice too Graham

Thanks Graham

I have not used APT as I went for Backyard EOS when I started with just the 1100d and now use SG Pro.

I tried binning 2x2 for RGB but found the subs extremely noisy and never used it again. 1x1 works for focusing as I always pick a bright star.