• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which computer to get.

Graham

I have been looking at computers all day trying to decide what to buy , now my head hurts and I am still no further forward.

Do I get a laptop , a desk top , an all in one or a mini pc.

I need it for my meteor imaging and detection set up so it will be running 24/7

It must have a large storage capacity for the meteor videos and plenty of processing power.

It must be USB 3 for the cameras.

Be able to connect to this computer so I can transfer files ect. 

So come on you techies what should I go for and why.

As you saw at Kelling I use an ancient Panasonic Toughbook for capture and it handles the ccd,filters guiding and mount fine.

Does not have USB 3

For webcam capture I picked up a micro form format Dell Optiplex 3050 I5 with 8 gig of ram (which I will upgrade when I'm feeling flush)and have upgraded the SSD to a samsung 860 EVO and finally added a PCI SSD. and now get no buffering at full size and speed from both the ZWO 178 and the Chameleon cams.

It has 4 USB3'3 and 2 USB2's.

I stack my solar/luna on it and transfer the stacked image.

I process and stack ccd  on the desktop.

For bulk storage and backup I have 2 (for some reson) NAS units.

I'm sorry I'm not being of great help.

Edited by Ibbo

I’d go for a desktop if you don’t need it to be mobile , parts are easily changed if needed , maybe look for a gaming pc all depends on budget , we bought the lads gaming pc from Dino pc there you can configure to your requirements something with dedicated graphics card and about 16gb ram , ssd for operating system and HD’s for meteor you can get very large hdd reasonably priced these days .

A 6tb hdd cctv grade is between £130-150 range bear in mind these can be added later if pc supplier is too dear , usb3 is pretty much standard on modern desktop pc these days and get a decent monitor we just got lad a 24” HD monitor by ASUS £150 mark .

8 hours ago, Ibbo said:

As you saw at Kelling I use an ancient Panasonic Toughbook for capture and it handles the ccd,filters guiding and mount fine.

Does not have USB 3

For webcam capture I picked up a micro form format Dell Optiplex 3050 I5 with 8 gig of ram (which I will upgrade when I'm feeling flush)and have upgraded the SSD to a samsung 860 EVO and finally added a PCI SSD. and now get no buffering at full size and speed from both the ZWO 178 and the Chameleon cams.

It has 4 USB3'3 and 2 USB2's.

I stack my solar/luna on it and transfer the stacked image.

I process and stack ccd  on the desktop.

For bulk storage and backup I have 2 (for some reson) NAS units.

I'm sorry I'm not being of great help.

Thanks Steve

On the contrary that has been a great help.

I have never even heard of a NAS unit.

Could be the answer I have been looking for.

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

I’d go for a desktop if you don’t need it to be mobile , parts are easily changed if needed , maybe look for a gaming pc all depends on budget , we bought the lads gaming pc from Dino pc there you can configure to your requirements something with dedicated graphics card and about 16gb ram , ssd for operating system and HD’s for meteor you can get very large hdd reasonably priced these days .

Thanks David.

I do have a desktop in mind and with a NAS unit could be the perfect solution to what I am looking for.

Exactly what im using Graham, save direct to the NAS from imaging, lock up, then into the warmth for processing at any time, all backed up, ready to go and access from anywhere..where do you do your processing? and how do you run your imaging in the obsy at the moment?

Thanks Wayne

My obs has its own dedicated desktop.

What I need this new set up for is an all sky Meteor imaging set up I am building.

When it is finished it will be running 6 usb 3 motion activated cameras simultaneously .

Hence why I need the Storage and processing power to run it all.

With the NAS unit I can also link up the obs computer and save direct to it instead of filling up the obs HD .

So motion activated meaning these 6 cameras are not running flat out? Any reason they can't be added to your obsy desktop?, they won't take that much processor and usb3 can be added to any desktop with a free internal port....more cash for NAS😁..to put it blunt i know 6 cameras isn't my 3 but I'm running zwo1600, zwo290, guiding, mount, pole master constant in case I get a meteor glimpse, APT not including running DSS and any other program ..on a i5 dell optiplex with 8gb of ram....desktop was £110... food for thought..👍

Edited by Brady

My obs computer is running XP and could not handle anything else running when I am using the imaging rig.

All my Meteor stuff is based on this computer which is in an upstairs room in my house.

I could use this one along side a NAS unit I suppose as it is more than capable of handling the extra workload.

Any recommendations on a decent NAS unit, bearing in mind I will have to set it up myself. 

I use Synology mate, I know there are a few about but I have no problems with this make and constantly updated...

Thanks Wayne.

I have just been looking at Synology DS118 6TB 

I have had another thought on this.

I am now looking into using a CCTV control box to run the cameras thus removing the need for using my desktop and running extra software.

Unfortunately my NVR only has ethernet connectors for my cameras, no usb ports....not saying there isn't any out there though....also depending on cameras how would drivers be installed? I suppose dedicated CCTV cameras may have to be used or is that already your plan?....glad your the one working it out Graham 😁

Just purchased a system.

4  x 4 mp cameras

Full motion activation on all cameras.

2 tb hard drive.

usb auto data transfer 

Co-operates with windows 

remote access via interweb.

We will see what happens when it is up and running.

Arrives tomorrow.

Each camera has a 90 degree fov so if I make a 4 sided bracket up at work to mount them on tilt the cameras to 45 degrees I should be able to cover pretty much all of the sky.

A continuous meteor movie....now that would be something...if one lit up for that long....I sense a stocking filler coming on

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get this up and running Graham?

...Doesn't matter mate, just read the other post....bugger

Edited by Brady

been in contact with the sellers and they are going to send me a software update to see if it cures the problem.

I have updated the All Sky post with my back up plan.