• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

This weeks captures. Week ending 13.12.2019

Busy week graham i notice they are all roughly at the same area og graph ,what does that tell you i cant read the scale on right hand side is that Frquency ?

5 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Busy week graham i notice they are all roughly at the same area og graph ,what does that tell you i cant read the scale on right hand side is that Frquency ?

Yes vertical scale is frequency 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Graham said:

Yes vertical scale is frequency 

All mine also focus around a particular freq - 1400kzh for me but that's down to the script config and tuning.

GRAVES radar transmits on 143.050 and I suspect Grahams detector (like most) is tuned to 143.048, giving the 2khz offset.  The audiable pings will also be at  2khz.

I could be wrong here as the screen shots show a freq of 143.028Khz - however this is something that gets entered manually and has nothing to do with tuning.

The reason they show at the same point on the horizontal 'time' axis will be down to a timer in the script. 

I'd guess that when Graham watches his display and there is a hit, he'll hear the audio ping at the point when it enters the display at the very right hand edge of the screen.

The timer delays the capture until it is in a better area of the screen for viewing.  On Graham's display it looks like the timer will be set for something between 60-70 secs

The speed of the scroll and the timer duration will determine where the capture takes place on the screen.

I have my timer set lower as my scroll speed is set to only show 1 min, so a 60 sec timer and it would be off the bottom of the screen 😀

At 1 min display I see less on screen at once, but it does help stretch out the small hits so I can a bit more detail.

Al

Hi Graham,

Not sure if the freq shown is actually the one you're tuned to ..... I remember last time I had mine set up I couldn't work out why it was showing the worng freq but I didn't realise it was just something you manually change - I recently stumbled upon an old post on another fourm where I was asking how to change it!

If you ever wanted to change / update the info block on the screen captures it can be done here:

File > Screen Capture >Screen Capture Options...

You can then enter the info you want to display.

As an example: (Include the quotation marks)

"Date="+str("YYYY-MM-DD",now)+" Time="+str("hh:mm",now)
"Freq= 143.050MHz"
"A. Grant"

The date/time are strings but the others are just any text you want to show and you can use more lines if needed.  Use Upd. preview to check before applying any changes
This makes no changes to the tuning or config.

Al

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

Never noticed that 😅

Have changed it to the correct frequency 

It drove me mad when I first had a detector set up. 

I was changing freqs and all sorts but it never changed and it was one of those things that didn't make any difference but not knowing how to change it was bugging me!

I eventually posted online and even then it took a while before somebody pointed me to the settings.

...... When I set it up this time I knew it could be changed somewhere but it still took me ages going through all the options to try find out where 

Sometimes Spec Lab sends me a bit  😵

• Haha 2