• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Meteor detector going down

My meteor detector will probably be down later today and staying down for a week or so.

We're having the soffits and fascia's done on the house and the antenna needs to come down.

The antenna will just be laid on the garage roof so might still pick a few of the stronger hits up.

The workmen gave me some good examples of what happens when heavy drills are running a few feet from the antenna/dongle ..

v8DMBOM.jpg

The good thing is the script recognises 'noise' from meteors and doesn't count it.

The section on the right is the Spec Lab Amplitude Bar and the red line shows the noise level.

Interesting to see the difference between electrical interference and meteors.  With meteors the red line stays pretty much at normal levels.

In theory the antenna could go back up later in the week ....... but I think if I start drilling holes in the new facsia's it might just test my wife's sense of humour and tollerance levels 😡

Al I have downloaded a copy of Allskeye and it looks promising.

Getting a little confused trying to set it up with my ASI 120 though.

What settings are you using.

8 hours ago, Graham said:

Al I have downloaded a copy of Allskeye and it looks promising.

Getting a little confused trying to set it up with my ASI 120 though.

What settings are you using.

Graham,

I've posted a reply here  .....

Al

1 hour ago, Al.Grant said:

Yay! 🙂  I do like those pings.

My detector is still down and not likely to be back up until after Xmas ☹️

Thats a shame

though you are not missing that many.

you must get up and running for the storm of the quadrantids (seen about 4 - ever)

Thankfully the workmen have all finished and gone now.

The scaffolding will still be up until after New Year - which is great as I've got a couple of roof tiles to replace and can now get to them.  

As there won't be any work going on up there I think I'm going to try cable tie the antenna pole to the scaffolding so I should start to pick things up again.

I'll need a new bracket to do a permanent fix to the wall.  There is no chance in hell She Who Must Be Obeyed  will let me loose with a drill on the new fascias!

Can't you put the antenna on the chimney stack with the TV aerial? (while the scaffolding is up)

As high as possible with VHF antenna's!

Edited by Ron Clarke
added text