• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

All Sky Cam: 22 Dec 19

I caught this on the all-sky cam last night.

I have the exposure set to 15secs now and am fairly happy with the results

GrEwxCL.jpg

We get quite a few aircraft overhead but this looks totally different.

I have the video of it and once I've cut it down a bit, I'll post it.

• Like 4

A cut down section of last nights video run.  Lots of cloud at the start and later the cloud rolled in again and we had rain.

The camera was angled towards the Ursids radiant.

North is towards the bottom of the screen with Polaris at approx the 7 o'clock and Cassiopea starting at about the 8 o'clock position.

Approx 25 secs in the video (23:42)

I'm still playing with the settings in AllSkEye, but given our local light pollution I'm fairly happy with them but looking forward to trying it out under some dark Snowdonia skies in a week or so.  

In this the ASI120mm had a 15 sec exposure and gain at 20.

The auto video creation was set at 15fps.  

• Like 1

Saw this from Pete Lawrence on Twitter:

The timings don't match but otherwise it looks very similar.

Speaking to him on twitter and he thinks it's highly likely to be the same meteor

"Pete Lawrence - Twittr:  That's odd - the trail has the same profile and direction - there's a high probability it's the same one. Is your clock correct? I'm just going to check mine."

I've checked the timings on my laptop and it all looks good and I can't see anything in the software that would account for a difference.

That said, if there's a discrepancy I suspect it would be at my end!

Al

My capture and that of Pete Lawrence were both in NW Leicestershire, had to believe they're not the same meteor.  

I've been looking at the timings.

I'm not convinced there isn't something in AllSkEye that caused mine to havean incorrect timestamp!  My laptop time is correct but I can't rule out a delay between image acquisition and conversion.

I had the detection option running, so there was certainly a backlog and I think it was somewhere near 40mins but I can't be certain as I no longer have the original FIT image.

Pete Lawrence took his image on a DSLR so there was only one clock to worry about and he has checked the timings.  His camera was only 10 mint out, so nothing to account for a 43 min discrapance.

I've posted on the AllSkEye support forum to ask the question.

Timestamp aside, I'm very happy with the capture especially as there is some reliable correlation

Al

Only thing I have at that exact time of Peter's is a plane.

From its size I would estimate a military jet travelling at a high rate of knots. 

I would agree with you about the difference between capture and the time stamp on the converted image.

I have a time lag on mine as well.

Edited by Graham