• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Burton on Trent

Simon68

Hi folks, I'm from Branston near Burton on Trent. I've been interested in Space and science all my life.. but today (27/12/19) I achieved a longtime ambition to buy a 'Real' telescope...

Not spectacular but was within my budget (of Christmas work bonus and Pressie money) any dearer it would of been out budget so I am now the owner of a 700mm x 76mm Reflector with 3 x Barlow lens...

Bought it completely on a whim with some of work Christmas bonus and Pressie money.... was shopping solo at the time, my wife was shopping with our son elsewhere in the centre.... So I rang and  checked with her first (due to room in the house restraints) and got a bored  'whatever' which I took as an enthusiastic yes.

I know nothing about where anything is in the sky! hoping to see ISS in the morning if the cloud clears then start studying the stars and planets    

Welcome to East Mids Stargazers Simon, and congratulations on your new purchase.

Enjoy the views 😀🔭

Hi there Simon. Welcome to EMS.

Hope we have some clear skies soon for you to try out your telescope. Also, the Quadrantid meteor shower is soon (3/4 Jan), you don't need a telescope to see meteors however.

Let's hope it's clear. The radiant (where the meteors appear to originate) , is near Ursa Major (big dipper/the plough).

Thanks for all the replies... Too much cloud overnight to get any use out of it! never really paid attention to how much cloud there was at night until yesterday.

Fingers crossed for tonight and will look out for Quadrantid meteor shower in a few days (thanks to Newtyng5 for the heads up on that) 

Hi Simon, a warm welcome to the forum.

It looks like you are now hooked, so you'll be wanting to learn you way round the sky. A great free program is Stellarium which should get you started and pointing the right way.

http://stellarium.org/

Make yourself at home and enjoy your stay.

Edited by BAZ

Finally managed to use it tonight. moved it around the sky and looked at a few things, I think one of the things I was looking at was VEGA (if Google sky is to be believed) loved standing out in the cold for nearly two hours! 

Orion was nicely on display last night, I noticed when I put the bins out lol. The tip of the sword is an interesting area to view if you've not seen it before. 🙂