• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Beatlejuice

I cannot remember where I saw this but it has faded quite noticeably recently. I happened to see Orion last night and it appeared fainter than Pollux but brighter than Bellatrix and Castor, suggesting a magnitude of 1.2 to 1.25. I think my eyes suffer from over-sensitivity to red light, so others might find it closer in brightness to Bellatrix and Castor than I do.

Some have suggested that it might be about to go supernova but another explanation might be that it has expelled clouds of "soot".

Another guess (mine) is that it may have fused nearly all of its helium and is about to fuse carbon, nitrogen and oxygen and moving to another stage in its evolution.

Yep I noticed the other night it wasn't as red in appearance as it usually is. It certainly made me wonder if it's about to collapse then go SN. But then, how long would that take, and how long would it take the light to reach us here on Earth? Watch this space.... lol 🙂

Theres certainly a lot of stuff about this at tge moment, especially on sosheeal meejah. Its a variable star so is moving towards a minima. Suppose because its one of the winter bright stars and is relatively easy to spot even from light polluted skies it,s getting more press this time round.

4 hours ago, philjay said:

Theres certainly a lot of stuff about this at tge moment, especially on sosheeal meejah. Its a variable star so is moving towards a minima. Suppose because its one of the winter bright stars and is relatively easy to spot even from light polluted skies it,s getting more press this time round.

It has the distinction of being the brightest variable star in the sky. I have seen various estimates for its range. I follow it, although one won't notice much change from night to night. I have seen estimates as faint as mag 1.3 but even my estimate of 1.2 is outside of its normal range. I have seen it as faint as Pollux before (again outside of its "official" range) but never noticeably fainter. Pollux is a great comparison star because it is of similar colour and doesn't vary much. I often compare it to Rigel and Procyon when it is at/near its brightest but the colour contrast makes things difficult, especially if one perceives red as brighter than most people. Aldebaran (mag 0.9) is useful as a general guide for comparison but I am in a minority that considers Aldebaran to be variable, albeit with a small range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

... and now I think it is 1.5! Of course, it might not be varying quite as much, as colour perception and the uneven spread of haze can affect how bright it looks but it appeared only a shade brighter than Bellatrix.

Edited by Sunny Phil
typ0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was amazed to see that Betelguese had brightened quite considerably. It matched Pollux, well outshone Bellatrix and Castor, so that suggested a magnitude of 1.1. However, it also outshone Aldebaran, which would suggest an even brighter magnitude but I suspect Aldebaran of being variable.