• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Filters/holder advice

Bottletopburly

So finally hit the button on a qhy5111-290mm now I did think wether to hold back and wait for a used ccd but decided as I only just got the Nikon for now I would go for a new faster planetary cam usb3 with a fast FPS that could be used for guiding if needed , Bern at modern astronomy advised the 290 would be better for planetary and the 178 for guiding but using the 290 in my qhy miniguide scope will have no problems finding stars so once new stock comes in I will get it in about 2 weeks, I have ordered a 500gb crucial mx500 ssd drive £50 off amazon so that’s going in my lads old mini usb3  Alienware gaming pc so Astro only  , now back to  filters, camera will be used on the 200pds for planetary should I be looking at a simple slot filter holder type or manual filter wheel I’m assuming at minute an EFW will be an investment for a later date ,  what’s your thoughts peeps .

Manual filter wheels are ok but have a big down side.

The wheel is open to the elements ( so you can turn it ) 

This means the filters are also open to the elements allowing them to get dusty ect.

This aperture the wheel protrudes from also allows light in.

EFW's whilst pricey protects your expensive filters as it is fully enclosed.

Lets face it they are only going to go up in price as time ticks by. 

You can pick up a good one for a couple of hundred pounds on ABS.

As you get more and more into using filters you will undoubtedly progress up the ladder in terms of filter quality and therefor costs.

Do you really want a filter costing several hundred pounds to be open to the elements.

It would only take one bit of dust to scratch the filter and ruin it.

EFW's are the only way to go.

They keep your filters safe and there is no faffing about in the dark changing filters, knocking the scope ect.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

Manual filter wheels are ok but have a big down side.

The wheel is open to the elements ( so you can turn it ) 

This means the filters are also open to the elements allowing them to get dusty ect.

This aperture the wheel protrudes from also allows light in.

EFW's whilst pricey protects your expensive filters as it is fully enclosed.

Lets face it they are only going to go up in price as time ticks by. 

You can pick up a good one for a couple of hundred pounds on ABS.

As you get more and more into using filters you will undoubtedly progress up the ladder in terms of filter quality and therefor costs.

Do you really want a filter costing several hundred pounds to be open to the elements.

It would only take one bit of dust to scratch the filter and ruin it.

EFW's are the only way to go.

They keep your filters safe and there is no faffing about in the dark changing filters, knocking the scope ect.

What size filter wheel holder graham bearing in mind I have a 2”  Idas D2 filter or can they take multiple sizes 

The size depends on what camera you are using.

I have always used 1.25"  filters with my CCD cameras.

Once you get into 2 inch filters you are talking serious money for decent narrow band filters, £1000.00 plus for a decent set.

The EFW's are a fixed size .

Either 1.25 or 2 inch.

Edited by Graham
  • Thanks 1

@Graham @Ibbo thanks guys food for thought  , Astro funds depleted after camera and new ssd drive  so no urgency at the moment but will put on the next purchase list  👍