• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51 (Whirlpool Galaxy)

catman161

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you may shed some light (pun intended) on this query for me :)

From a light polluted city centre back yard in Leicester should it be possible to view M51 with a SW 200P and Hyperion zoom lens?

I have tied star hopping from mizar to benetnash and then along to M51 but just fail to find it every time. Also is it viewable with a set of 15x70 bins sai have tried using them to find it but again can't seem to.

Afraid not!

We need a dark sky site to see M51!

The good news is though with that kit list, we should be able to see it (hope so as that is what I have) but it won't be amazing like the pictures.

Thanks guys. Think I will try and. Tick that one off at a dark site meet then.

I've seen M51 using a 200P with absolutely no probs. But you do need a very dark and moonless night cos it is very faint. Averted vision and a decent low power wide angle eyepiece helps. It's a very exciting object to see. Needless to say I was at Kelling in the pitch dark. :)

I have also viewed it with my 200p, pre-goto it took a long time to find. Low power eyepiece and both cores were visable.

Bodes is a easier find and a rewarding view.

Veiwed these many times from my semi-rural back garden.