• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2020 UK Astro Show Dates

Hi,

Some Astro show dates for your diary's.

European Astrofest 2020 :  Friday January 31 + Saturday February 1st      Kensington, London.  (yes, its early this year !)   Links below for full details :

https://europeanastrofest.com

Practical Astronomy Show 2020 :  Saturday 21 March 2020     Kettering     Show link and speaker info just released below :

https://practicalastroshow.com/speakers/?fbclid=IwAR1ZGlvAG2q_OUcRbKzONo8E9puSIqyN9ABnqfNWEtu3g5FyOp8TJFkDv_M

International Astronomy Show 2020 :   Dates in November to be confirmed.   Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire.   Link below to homepage for more info :

https://www.ukastroshow.com

After 15 consecutive visits to Astrofest, i have decided to give it a miss this year 😓

Reasons include me being disappointed with the show in 2018 & 2019, the travel involved, as well as 2 other shows closer to home.

But i will definitely be at the PAS in March and almost certainly at the IAS in November as well.

I thought the PAS was excellent last year, and for a first show for them, they hit the ground running and its all for free !!

@Derbyshire Dave : you may be interested in the 'APT' talk ?

Hopefully i'll see some of you there in Kettering ??  

Regards, Rob 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Derbyshire Dave

Hi Rob,

Good call, good idea to put these dates in the diary early.

And, yes, definitely interested in the APT talk, Ivo has always been very helpful when I’ve asked him for assistance.

Just got a flyer from AA saying Ivaylo from APT is giving a talk as well as Paul Money!!

Edited by Ron Clarke
Derbyshire Dave
2 hours ago, Ron Clarke said:

Just got a flyer from AA saying Ivaylo from APT is giving a talk as well as Paul Money!!

Yeah, that's what Rob is saying above Ron. Should be good, are you going?

Posted (edited)

The thing to be aware of with the PAS, is that the talk 'tickets' are given out on a first come , first served basis.

You can't book them in advance.

The show opens at 09:00hrs.

Don't arrive at 09:30 expecting to get all the tickets you want, because in all likelihood they will have sold out.

I arrived at around 08:45 last year, and there were 50 - 100 people already in a line ahead of me before the doors had even opened.

I still managed to get my tickets though, but others behind me were not so lucky.

So, make sure you get there in plenty of time ! It was a busy show last year, and i expect to see the same again in March.

And this........ its only one ticket per person : They won't let you have  a 'group allocation' for a society or whatever.

The talks look really good again. I'm hoping to see 3 or 4 of them if i can.

Interestingly, talk # 4 is presented by Gain Lee.

He brought my old Orion Optics 10" F6.3 Newtonian off me 2 or 3 years ago.

Nice chap, and well known and respected in the astro imaging community. It will be good to catch up and see if he still has it !

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Thankyou Andy, i had forgotton to update this post.

I think the PAS postponement was inevitable, given current circumstances,

and i'm surprised they left it less than 10 days to go before the event before making the announcement. 

So, some info......

As said the Practical astronomy show originally planned for March 21 is now postponed for 6 months

with a new date of Saturday September 26 at the same venue in Kettering.

Webpage below :

https://practicalastroshow.com

49661312841_51a8fc6075_b.jpg

Here's details of another show i had not mentioned : The North West Astronomy Festival 2020

I've not been to this one before, so don't know a whole lot about it.

Its based up in Warrington on the weekend of the 24th & 25th of October (Saturday & Sunday)

Webpage below :

https://nwastrofest.co.uk

49660773113_a98efd510e_c.jpg

Finally, the dates have been released for another of our very popular shows, which is 'The International Astronomy Show'

held in November, at Stoneleigh Park in Warwickshire.

This year it will be held on Friday 30th & Saturday 31st October 2020.

Webpage below :

https://www.ukastroshow.com

This means there are 3 UK shows in the space of 5 weekends.

I'm hoping to go to both the PAS and the IAS.

Lets hope we all stay fit and healthy until then.

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Bino-viewer
Posted (edited)

Cancellation Notice ⚠️

The International Astronomy Show, aka UK Astro show

scheduled for 30 & 31 October, at Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire has now been caped (even though its still nearly 7 months away)

It won't be rearranged, but will return next year, October 2021. 

The same applies to the North West Astronomy Festival (in Warrington) on 24 & 25 October. This is also cancelled.

The rearranged PAS show in Kettering (Saturday September 26) has not been cancelled yet, 

but in all likelihood, i'm expecting it to go the same way. Watch this space.

I should have gone to Astrofest !! 🙄

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • 3 months later...
Bino-viewer

STOP PRESS CANCELLATION NOTICE  ⚠️

The Practical Astronomy Show, rescheduled for Saturday 26 September 2020  (from its original date of 21 March 2020) has now been cancelled.

Not that big a surprise really, though disappointing. I assumed the show would take place in March 2021.....?

BUT NO. 2021 has been removed from the calendar as well.

The PAS has now been pencilled in for 19 March 2022 !!

I'm quite literally shocked by this announcement.

What are they expecting to happen in 2021 ?  Maybe we should all hide under our beds with our masks on just in case.....

So no astronomy shows for the foreseeable i'm afraid folks 😕

• Sad 1

As you say Rob disappointing. Maybe it’s down to venue availability. What about IAS could that be next year?

Bino-viewer

@Streetbob Hi Doug,  yes at present the IAS (cancelled this year) has been pencilled in for October 2021. Dates to be confirmed.

And regarding the Kettering show, i'm told the venue has been closed for the foreseeable. Not just for the PAS, but for everything.

A bit puzzling ; its a pretty big place. But for them to write off the whole of 2021 seems crazy. It just shows you what a state things are in.

• Daz Type-R locked this topic