• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My experience with 8x42 Binoculars

The observing with bins section looked a bit neglected so I would like to share my experience with using just a pair of 8x42 bins.

I was at my caravan and only had my birding bins with me but I laid down on the sunlounger and gazed up at the sky anf was astonished at what I saw.

I could easily see M31, M13, M5, and the Double cluster. I scanned through the Milky way near Cygnus and was astonished by the amount of stars visible in just a small objective like the one I was using.

This got me thinking that I need to invest in a pair of Canon 18x50 IS Bins, they must be awesome to use.

Good shout Mick

I use my 8x42 birders for night use as well they give cracking widefield views esp through the milky way

I've seen M27 and some of the wonderful summer stuff down in sag and scorp and as you say the show-piece objects are there as well

a big plus for the compacts is being able to hold them steadier .I do have some 20x 80 that I hardly use because I can't hold em steady(need to sort out a mount of some sort)

With the kids (and parents) in the dome I always advise bins to start with rather than a telescope as you can use them foe all sorts such as birding etc

Steve lent his 8x42s the first time I ever went up to the CC and I was very impressed by the views through them. Since then I bought my own & use them more frequently than the dob because they are so convenient. Also handy for wildlife & answering those "what's that thing right in the distance?" kind of questions.

I use an old pair of Russian 10x50 Tento binos quite alot and its amazing just what you can see with them, great for sweeping then MW. I once tried some of the canon IS binos, cant remember what size but I was a bit dubious as to the benefits of IS but having tried them I was well impressed, the IS makes alot of difference.

Phil

When we were at SGL6, I bought a pair of 8x40's off FLO for a tenner, clearance stuff, I had a look through them and they were nice and bright and sharp. I got back to the tent and Mrs Baz commandeered them, nice and light, just right as she can hold them OK.

They are nice though....were.

I also have some little 9x21's which I take with me as they are ideal for spotting targets, and as they are on a lanyard I can just let them go and get to the eyepiece without having to worry about them.

• 4 weeks later...

Good shout Mick

I use my 8x42 birders for night use as well they give cracking widefield views esp through the milky way

I've seen M27 and some of the wonderful summer stuff down in sag and scorp and as you say the show-piece objects are there as well

a big plus for the compacts is being able to hold them steadier .I do have some 20x 80 that I hardly use because I can't hold em steady(need to sort out a mount of some sort)

With the kids (and parents) in the dome I always advise bins to start with rather than a telescope as you can use them foe all sorts such as birding etc

I use the van window to hold my 15 x 70 bins, just sit in the van point the bins out and wind up the window :lol: :lol: :lol: seems to work.

• 1 month later...
Guest black eyed hexy

hi everyone , I,m a avid bino fan too, my collection contains lots of various cheapos off ebay just to find out what suits my eyes,decent ones I have 15x70 straight 12x63 zoom and three tripods, 25x100 revelation for these I have made a pole mount out of a scaffold tube ,three tubes sunk in three different locations around the garden. a homemade mount for the 25x100

I have also made a mirror mount for these as well so you look down into the binos instead of up=very comfortable=you can buy mirror mounts for about £75 well worth it for binoc viewing.

I've seen those mirror mounts they do look comfortable to use but looking down instead of up must take some getting used to.

Nice homemade mounts BTW

Personally I find it easier to put your photos on a website such as imageshack and just paste the direct link into your thread, this way you get full size photo's.

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi notts mick, saves a fortune on neck braces , I would like to hear opinions on how people cope with zenith viewing holding binos, laying down holding them aint comfortable either, tried that. for what it cost to either make or buy a binomount can,t see the point myself. Damned if I can hold any binocs steady enough ,maybe some can lock their joints or solidify. regards dan

Edited by black eyed hexy

Very nice bunch of bins you got there Dan - hope we get to see some of them at a meeting soon - I'd love a look through them. Have a chat with Martyn (Baz Snr) - he made a teriffic parallelogram mount that can be used standing or with a deck chair or sun bed. It's a marvelous peice of engineering that holds them firm in any orientation including zenithal viewing - he'll put a picture up for you I'm sure :)

Guest black eyed hexy

thanks kim , I got the 25x100s off ebay before brian cox super inflated all them reasonable prices.lol they only cost me £120 and came in a nice metal case as well. good as new they were and the field of view is soooo big. alas one of the prism holding screws snapped last year mending that and recollimating these was a little daymare , don,t try it!! regards dan p.s. meeting ?? what meeting??

Dan we have two dark sites at Sawley and Belper. The Belper site has a cricket pavillion where we do talks and presentations and observing - Sawley is just hard standing in a field where we do observing only. We meet at one or the other when weather allows - I believe some are meeting at Belper tonight if it's clear - but both sites can be used any night all year.

You can make a first visit to either site for free just to meet the folks and see if you enjoy a session. If you then want to join the "Dark Site" group and attend regularly we will ask for subs that go towards paying the rent on the two sites (currently £20 per year per member).

Hope we meet you soon :)

Guest black eyed hexy

hi brantuk/alias kim, thanks for info ,and yes I would like to oggle the belper site ,is there an address and map available ? if you would , thanks dan

P.S. subs are cheap for a whole year, petrols not though, think I,ll use the broom tonight.

Subs are cheap especillay for two sites but I have no control over petrol costs I'm afraid. As the the address it's:

The Packhorse Ground

Sandyford Lane

Alderwasley

Belper

Derbyshire

DE56 2DP.

Co ordinates;

53 degrees 03' 38" North

1 degree 31' 19" West

Belper is used mostly by folks at the northern end of our area so Sawley is probably more economical for yourself. Sawley's my main site though I go up to Belper once a quarter when we have a special presentation night.

Sawley is usually ok despite the power station, but they are doing maintenance right now on the cooling towers so there's a bit more LP than usual. Next year we are planning a different site a similar distance but in a darker area. :)

Guest black eyed hexy

thanks guys, I was being light hearted bout the petrol cost, but it might be an issue with some.I really--- do have a broom; but I won,t scare you lot just yet.what sort of time is generally chosen for the meet. if you don,t mind. thanks dan P.s. is it ok to invite one friend along the once as he might join as well seeing there,s room on me broom?

The more the merrier Dan - feel free to bring some gear with you - or just come meet the folks - look through a few scopes and have a nice evening as you wish. You'll find everyone friendly and welcoming. Martyn usually puts on a brew and some biscuits to keep everyone warm - just pop a quid in the box on the night to cover his costs. :)