• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My experience with 8x42 Binoculars

Here's some pics of the parallelogram mount as promised.

DSCF2837.jpg?t=1329574986DSCF2839.jpg?t=1329574889

DSCF2838.jpg?t=1329574945

That's awesome Martyn. What size bins are they? Forgive my ignorance but what is the main function of a mount like that for bins? Is it better than a tripod in its range of movement?

Felix

The bins are 15x70 Revelations. the reason for a mount like this is it's ease and comfort of use, it moves through four axes and as it is all balanced, it stops where you place it.

It's also handy for Mrs Baz, as I can find things, pull down the bins so they are at her viewing height, and it is still on what I was looking at.

I'll bring them down Sawley some time so you can have a squint.

I see that's a great idea. I have been looking into other tripods a the camera one tht I use for my 15x70 celestron skymasters is just not great at all. I would love a look through that setup thanks Martyn. Can you buy those kind of mounts or did you build that?

Guest black eyed hexy

well martyn senior, that bino looks super terrific, and it works a dream into the bargain=============want one=========would love to see it in person some time ,if I could get my head round all the geometry I would like to make one ,that is if you didn,t mind it being roughly copied in measurements. awsome! drooling dan

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dan,

Just upgrading from 10" sct to 12", but those binos look awesome. Tried and failed to mount two bresser 127's as binos, just cost too much to merge the lightpath.

Cheers

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi damian , that is a serious piece of quality equipment, wish I could afford those as well, they are just so brilliantly compact, Your bino attempt. can you elaborate on it at all just for future ref. it,s not as hard to do as many think, ,it,s the optical axis,s which need the attention on these as well as the matching focal lengths. kind regards dan P.s. binos will look better hopefully when cosmetics are applied as I should have them assembled by end of feb==more pics &stories

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dan,

missed your post!!.

Bought two bresser 127 ARl's had hoped to mount in parallel on a skytee then to bring optical paths together. Found a fantastic bit of kit two gimbled epsthat could rotate on either axis, trouble was it was a pukka scientific instrument and the cost was near £2500 :( .

Your project looks awsome.

Good Luck

Damian

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi damian, shame you have to pay so much for real cool bits of kit for that kind of scope it,s not really something doable for the diy enthusiast to save money is it ?

One of the benefits of a reflector is the ease and cheapness to make binocular..===========without wanting to magnifying the conceit issue to much here , my twin 635mm total cost is around £1500.00 mark. albeit most self made. only because I wanted to and can.

There may be some who would laugh at such projects, but if you,re totally convinced from the off, what matters is the achievement satisfaction at seeing mind boggling views very few will experience. thanks for the wish dan