• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Laughable M31

Perkil8r

Had a go at M31. Got set up to do a run of 30 subs, but clouds rolled in after just 3. So here goes, 3 subs 1min unguided ISO800 on st80. Darks the same plus 3 x flats. I think the light patch at the top is stray light from a street light nearby, will try again with a shield in place next time. At least I think I'm in the right place, and I think the alignment must be pretty good.

Here it is in all it's uglyness:

Hardly ugly. I'm impressed that you're having a go at that time of night

You bagged three galaxies for the price of one there. M31, 32 and 110. A bit more processing would probably bring out more fuzzyness in the other two and make M31 even bigger. Looks good.

Now I'm awake again and looked at it with a fresh set of hayfever eyes, I am a bit happier. The nasty patch at the top is almost definately stray light from the street light. I have figured a way to stop that, so fingers crossed for clear skies tonight. 3 for the price of 2? I only see 2?

They are definitely in there Mike. 32 is a bit starlike and 110 is elongated and fuzzy.

Guest Tweedledum

MIke,

Change the image to greyscale, bring levels together a tad, then do an unsharp mask at around 1.5 px. Filesize not enough to have a real go but this removes the unearthly streetlamp glow.

Cheers

Thanks Damian, I might have a play later. The main thing is (trying to take positives from the experience) I got the right bit of sky, it was in focus and the alignment seems good for 1 min subs, so I know I can play properly the next patch of clear sky that comes along.

Guest Tweedledum

I dread to think how it would look if i had a go!, if you can shade that streetlight, then the other two galaxies will pop out, if you unsharp and make a new layer you can see them more clearly but the main image dies...

More power to you for thinking of doing those after a long trip too!

Cheers

The trip was nothing to me, I am used to driving long distances but hayfever did make the night rather less enjoyable. I noticed after the cloud had rolled in that the light was bouncing off the primary so I rigged up a shield which worked a treat. Unfortunately the clouds never rolled past in time to try again. I couldn't see it on the camera screen since the image was very light all over, it's only once I adjusted levels that it came to light (pardon the punn)

Mike For 3 subs that is a cracking pic.

Cannot wait until you can get a full run at it.

M31's a harder target than most folks think. It's too easy to burn out the core and fail to catch the dust lanes cos it's so bright. That's a great effort Mike and I'm sure you'll have it cracked in no time :)

Looking good, even with the glow of the street lights.

Still can only see one Messier object in there :blush:

Getting there, as Kim says keep on it as it is a tough target but its perfect for the ST80.

Now I've figured the lamp was getting in the way I will sort that incase it clears tonight.

How does the dmk21 work out as a guide camera ?

It works fine, much better than the old webcam.

When I get my Obsy and pier finished I'll get some more time to play with it guiding.