• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 serial disconnecting issue.

Derbyshire Dave

For the last three months I have had issues with my HEQ5 mount, it blew up twice, and this was tracked down to a heater band being wired incorrectly, the 12V being on the outside of the co-ax, which ended up shorting out the Power Supply, the same supply that was powering the mount. Repairs involved the two boards being replaced, afterwards it seems to working generally OK, tracking properly etc etc.

Since I have had it back, things are generally fine, the only issue I have is that when using Sequence Generator Pro (but not Astrophotography Tool !!), the mount will just occasionally disconnect.

I’ve been using SGPro for a few months now, and it has previously always worked fine.

I now seem to get occasional serial drop-outs, and the EQMOD window disappears. Sometimes it runs for hours OK, sometimes it will drop out after an hour or so. I sort of imagine that this happens more often when I’m busy doing other things on the laptop (resources?), but I might be imagining this.

The symptom in SGPro is that the orange connected box (with the chain, two boxes to the right of the “Telescope-EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6”) box goes grey, and the EQMOD window closes.

If I click to re-connect, it does so, tracking is off in the EQMOD window, but if I turn it back on, the mount seems to have actually maintained position.

I started a comms log in EQMOD, and these were the last communications I got for one disconnect:-
17:53:08.674 TX :s1
17:53:08.690 RX =1C0501
17:53:08.690 TX :s2
17:53:08.706 RX =1C0501
17:53:08.706 TX :V200
17:53:08.722 RX =
17:53:08.722 TX :q1010000
17:53:08.737 RX !0
17:53:08.737 TX :O10
17:53:08.753 RX !0

It seems that data is no longer being received. I am not sure which end is doing the transmitting and which is receiving.

I DO NOT SEEM TO GET THESE TIMEOUTS WHEN USING A.P.T, ONLY IN SG Pro

Regarding the Fujitsu laptop settings, I have no USB hub, just direct USB cable, and I always run on mains power, and all tickboxes “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” have been unticked in the control panel.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this, how I might be able to track it down, or are there any settings that could be changed (timeout etc)?

Hi Dave, do you run PHD with both applications? ascom and the same ascom device sets? have you tried reinstalling the ascom drivers for the HEQ5. both bits of software will interface via ascom so shouldnt make any difference what is speaking wiht ASCOM. 

have you tried starting a clean config on SGPRO , dont use any sequence or profile data you already have

• Thanks 1

Hi Colin,

Thanks. I use PHD2 with both applications. I have re-installed the drivers for the HEQ5. How do I tell whether I am using the same ascom, or the same ascom device sets?

Am tempted to completely remove and re-install SGPRO..

I have absolutely no knowledge of SGPro what so ever so cannot offer any advice on that.

I can tell you that once the track command is sent to your HEQ5 it will continue to do so until it is sent a stop command.

Once tracking you could turn your laptop off and the mount will happily continue to track until the power is switched off. 

Your problem sounds like it could be a power related issue, it takes only the slightest power drop to cause EQMOD to drop out and the power cable socket on the HEQ5 is not the best in the world.

The rotation of your mount whilst tracking might be causing the power lead to turn in the socket thus creating a momentary disconnection / power drop which is enough to cause EQMOD to drop out.

You say it does not happen when using APT might this be coincidental or maybe APT has an auto reconnect function that SGPro does not have.

It certainly is a strange one that I would be interested to what causes it for my future references .

• Thanks 1

I have an issue with mysolar/planetary pc sometimes dropping eqmod.

I think it is when everything running ie dew band-scope -camera - focuser - filter wheel - keyboard and mouse.

Now I'm not sure if it is the power supply or a USB port that does not have enough power from my PC.

I am going to try a powered hub next time out.

The thing is it does not always happen.

Edited by Ibbo
  • Thanks 1

Graham, Steve, sorry for the lengthy delay in replying, appreciate your help.

Interesting thoughts, which are leading me down the power route. It might make sense, the supply shorted out is the one that I’m now using to supply the mount. First thing I’ll set up some tests  supplying the Mount from my power tank. I can test this during the day, so let’s see if that helps.

thanks guys, I’ll let you know how it goes

Keep us up to date with what you find.

Have a look on the power plug that goes into the mount to see if there are any burn marks on the chrome. 

• Thanks 1

Appreciate that Graham, will keep you informed. There are no notable heat marks on the lead, or the power supply cigar connector. Will start testing on a battery in the morning.

I have some more info. I tried running off my power pack rather than the battery. Comms was lost after about 2 hours, so probably not a mains power to the mount dropping momentarily then.

Someone suggested that I try running Cartes De Ciel in parallel, connecting to the mount, and seeing what happened.

Interesting ... SGPro dropped out, but NOT CDC, and the EQMOD window was still up and updating, so that, in association with the fact that APT seemed not to drop out in previous tests points pretty much at SGPro communications..