• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M42

Clive

1 hour ago, seven_legs said:

Lovely shot clive. 

Like seeing images from dslr. Whats the Canon D200 like to use? 

It's the first and only DSLR I've used so I can't compare it to any other camera. When I restarted astrophotography a year ago I only had a flimsy homemade camera mount I had built in the late 80's so I needed a light, compact camera and the D200 seemed to fit the bill. At the time it didn't seem to get particularly favorable reviews from the astrophotography community but I've been happy with the results I'm getting. The live view vari angle touchscreen has definitely been a bonus (though I imagine most cameras now have these today).

Thanks clive. 

To say the camera didn't get favourable reviews seems odd when you see your shot of M42. 

On 26/01/2020 at 14:28, Clive said:

Finally got around to processing my main target from last Monday night (20th).  Unfortunately, even at maximum altitude, M42 lies within the cone of light pollution emitted from the nearby town so I wasn't expecting great things.  This is an 89 minute total stack with my Canon D200 and 400mm F5.6 lens from 20 x 180s, 20 x 60s, 20 x 20s and 20 x 7s images using the DSS entropy weighted average (HDR) stacking method in an attempt to avoid burning out the core.  It's the first time I've used that stacking method but it certainly appears to work as the trapezium stars are just visible in this final image but they are only visible in the 7s images whereas the outer 'wispy bits' are only visible in the 180s images.  Final processing using IRIS.

large.M42_20200120_400mm_F5.6_ISO1600_89m_int_HR.jpg.3aa7dd7f2d679e33ce0bc79848f0f985.jpg

Definitely one of the best amateur photos of M42 I've seen.