• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

LAS meeting 26th June

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

The theme for this coming Tuesday night's meeting will be the Summer Night Sky with presentations by members to include the Moon, the Perseids and the variable star Beta Lyrae.

We will also have a presentation on the planets by children from Ravenhurst Primary School.

Hope to see you on Tuesday. 7.30pm at the National Space Centre.

Best wishes

Ann

(Sorry for the short notice - inbox filtering issues!

Steve)

Are you going to that one Steve? If you are then give me a bell around 6:30pm to 7pm and I'll meet you there :)

Guest Steve

Do you know what, I think I will.

My daughter has been doing canoeing practice at the Leicester Outdoor Pursuits Centre for the last 12 weeks, so I haven't been able to get to any meetings until now.

There aren't any meetings in July, so this is the last one for a while.

See you there Kim.

Guest Steve

I enjoyed that. Year 5 from Ravenshurst, who previously had presented at the BAA meeting in Leicester, gave a brilliant introduction to the planets, complete with laughs and quiz questions. A good laugh - I wish I'd been that confident and informed when I was that age!

Also there were 3 talks on the Summer sky, covering meteor shower observing, the upcoming lunar/Jupiter occultation and variable star observing and reporting and a society challenge to plot the light curve of Beta Lyrae over the summer.

Where were you Steve? I arrived bang on 7:30 and couldn't see you anywhere - I was about 1/3rd from the back row. I saw the stuff with the kids which was great - then wondered off at half time cos I was feeling very tired. I even got the raffle tickets and didn't hang around for the draw lol :)

Guest Steve

Hah - I thought you'd stood me up!

I arrived at 7:31, just after Anne had kicked off - had to sneak in, but sat towards the front on an aisle seat. I got a coffee and had a look for you, but I guess you had gone. Shame.

No more LAS meets now until August.

Darn it - I only went outside for a smoke at first - musta been outside for 5-10 mins before I left lol - oh well - next time :)

Are you gonna try make it to Kelling in autumn?

Guest Steve

I was starting to think about the EMS Star Party. I know Kelling is big but I thought EMS might be a bit more manageable for a first experience!