• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Venus

Same set-up as Feb 11th. The phase has shrunk. I had some false colour, that shouldn't happen with a Mak but a bit of processing got rid of it and showed the phase properly.

VenusY20FebD20

Do you use plane polarising filters? For visual I find they seriously reduce glare on Venus. I don't do AP but they're supposedly good for imaging Venus, sometimes revealing cloud detail.

QUQiQVYm.jpg

I suggested this to someone on another forum and he tried it and had this (link below) photo published.

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/online-gallery/cloud-detail-on-venus-using-variable-polarizing-filter/

Edited by Nightspore

2 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Do you use plane polarising filters? For visual I find they seriously reduce glare on Venus. I don't do AP but they're supposedly good for imaging Venus, sometimes revealing cloud detail.

QUQiQVYm.jpg

I suggested this to someone on another forum and he tried it and had this (link below) photo published.

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/online-gallery/cloud-detail-on-venus-using-variable-polarizing-filter/

Great idea, thanks. With a DSLR, I'm not sure whether I can fit mine but I have used one with my Meade Electronic Eyepiece and have used one visually. It was a quick session before dinner and I couldn't be too long as I should have been helping in the kitchen!

With a DSLR, I can control the exposure time.

When I first started, I used sunglasses to see Venus and Jupiter.

11 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

Great idea, thanks. With a DSLR, I'm not sure whether I can fit mine but I have used one with my Meade Electronic Eyepiece and have used one visually. It was a quick session before dinner and I couldn't be too long as I should have been helping in the kitchen!

With a DSLR, I can control the exposure time.

When I first started, I used sunglasses to see Venus and Jupiter.

You're welcome. I originally used a pair of single polarised filters. I'd put one in the diagonal and one in the eyepiece. All I had to do was rotate the eyepiece to alter the transmission. This isn't so useful with a diagonal helical focuser. A couple of years ago I did a series of observations of Venus setting in twilight. With the paired polarisers I actually managed to see cloud detail. I told Reggie this and he used some Meade variable polarising device which achieved more or less the same thing. Except he managed to photograph it. 

VaOyT2Qm.jpg

Sunglasses could work too lol.