• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sorry its M51 again but this time I might just have nailed it.

Graham

Hi folks.

I know I know its that lune back again with another vague attempt at M51. :o

But I think I have actually nailed it this time.

Set up last night to take 5 min subs at ISO 400 but the first one off the line was so over exposed I dropped it down to 3 mins.

In total managed to get 70 subs before it got too light this morning.

I brought the frames with me to work this morning so I could put them through DSS.

The pics are as they came out of DSS, no processing in PS or anything.

I cannot wait until I can get home tonight and put the 'autosave' through PS.

Graham.

Edited by Astrotec Limited

Fantastic work there! Can't wait to see the processed version, you can already see a hell of a lot of detail in there, so once tweaked that looks very promising indeed. Well done that man! :)

Thanks Mike.

It is a step up a bit from the first one I did.

Itching to go home and put it through PS but I have loads to do here before that can happen.

looks very nice Graham, you should be able to pull alot of detail from that, i`d be very happy,

M51 has been my fav thing to image for the last 2 years although i still haven`t got anything as nice as yours, i have a few nice mono images but i hate using the processing software, it never seems to work for me, my last lot of data from SGL was promissing but every time i added the colour channels it started to go wrong, i`ve given it to Ibbo to have a play with and hopefully he can get something out of it.

And he has it nailed - looking good - can't wait to see the finished result.

Those cores are sweet!

Roll on the weekend so I can go out and play. I've been casting an envious eye on the skies from work and apart from Monday [heavy condensation] it's been very good in the YO8 area. Cue the clouds rolling in Saturday evening ...

Regards.

PS: Graham - have a crack at Andromeda some time. I'd like to see what you do with it.

Many thanks for the kind words.

Paul will it fit in a single frame?

Mind I have only ever seen it once before might just have a go at it next time.

I think you will struggle with the 200p to get it all in one frame, will be very close.

Well I have grabbed 10 mins from work to have a quick play with this in GIMP.

Cheers its a bit ott mind it would help if I had a clue what I was doing. lol

When you get back and get PS open, take your time, I'm sure that's going to be mega! Already looks fantastic with gimp.

The beauty of gathering data is you can always go back to it.

I'm keeping everything [good or bad] on an external hard drive so as I improve I can have another go processing etc.

Cloudy nights will therefore still be useful ;)

Regards.

PS: FoV - yes I forget not everyone images with small refractors/reducer. But stitching together 2 or 3 neb images seems like fun too :D

A mosaic of Andromeda now that sounds like a challange I might just take on.

Well I don't know what I am doing wrong in PS but I cannot get a decent photo from the autosave.

I did load the gimped version into PS and this is what I have come up with.

Can you crop the autosave and post it or will it still be too big? Don't resize, just crop that way the detail will still stay.

Hi Mike.

No its huge.

I just don't understand why I cannot get PS to work.

I have watched hours and hours of tutorials But I still cannot do anything with it.

I adjust the levels stretch the histogram all as per the videos and all I end up with is a washed out grey picture.

How big is the original file? Cropping should take it down by about 40 or 50 times, so if it was 40mb it should get to less than 1mb I reckon. If you can get it below 4mb by cropping, try emailing it to me.

Hi Mike

It is 75MB.

I loaded PS6 onto the office computer this morning.

When I tried to open the 'autosave' I was promptly told by this bloody computer I did not have enough RAM to open it. :angry:

So it was back to the Gimped version I did yesterday to see if I could extract any more detail out of it in PS6.

Had a play for a couple of hours and this is the result.

Must rearly get some work done.

I disregard the autosave and 'save picture to file' 16bit TIFF.

The autosave perhaps gets corrupted somehow in DSS. I can never open them in any graphics package.

Regards.

Thanks Paul I will try that next time.

I will give it ago Damian.

• 3 weeks later...