• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My new toy a Fullerscope IV mount.

Doc

That should keep you busy while you're self isolating Mick!! Bit of a beast innit!!!

Plenty to do Ron looking forward to tinkering while in isolation.

Edited by Doc

So you are the one who bought it.

Nice one Mick

I was very tempted but had to constrain myself.

Glad to see it went to a good home.

If you need the adapter plate cut let me know and I will do it on the water jet at work for you.

Aha, you bought it. Same here Graham, I had to restrain myself as well.

, I always wanted one and they can be made into superb mounts.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with   it Mick

Thanks for the comments guys and thanks for the offer Graham. 

One thing I am a bit puzzled about is that it has no polar scope option, how did they polar align I suppose by drift alignment. Thinking about designing an adapter plate to somehow incorporate azimuth adjustment when polar aligning as well as securing the mount to the tripod.

Phil and Graham how would you polar align apart from drift alignment?

Edited by Doc

You can get a pretty good alignment by using a mounted scope.

Set the mount up as if you were setting the home position on a skywatcher mount then center Polaris in the scope using the azi dec adjustments.

This will give you a good starting point then drift align. 

They don't make 'em like that anymore Mick.

And you were only taking about Fullerscopes just a few days ago (with a 6" F15) !

I will follow your restoration with much interest.

I'm sure you'll do an excellent job.

You may have seen this old CN thread about a similar restoration.

Have a look at the last photo : i think the chap has 4 scopes mounted on it, with goodness knows how many eyepieces on those turrets....? 😀

35Kg of counterweights need to balance it.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/398267-restoring-a-fullerscopes-mk-iv-mount/

17 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

They don't make 'em like that anymore Mick.

And you were only taking about Fullerscopes just a few days ago (with a 6" F15) !

I will follow your restoration with much interest.

I'm sure you'll do an excellent job.

You may have seen this old CN thread about a similar restoration.

Have a look at the last photo : i think the chap has 4 scopes mounted on it, with goodness knows how many eyepieces on those turrets....? 😀

35Kg of counterweights need to balance it.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/398267-restoring-a-fullerscopes-mk-iv-mount/

I will incorporate those encoders you gave me eventually and have it running via Nexus, well thats the plan anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all your comments.

I have wanted one of these ever since I wandered around the Fullerscope shop in East London way back in the early 80's. I was always drooling at the 6" refractor sitting on the Fulerscope IV mount but in those days could never afford it and had no where to put it.

So the idea with this one is to make an adapter so it sits on top of my planet tripod. Fit stepper motor drives to the worm gears and fit a go-to system via Nexus 11 so it's wireless with either my phone or Ipad.

If it hasn't already got stainless steel shafts fit them, regrease all the bearings and clean up the worm gears.

Some sort of magnifying glass with built in red light in front of the needle so you can read the degrees or hours easier on the brass circles.  Only problem is to make it small enough so to not look out of place. 

Replace all fixings with brass nuts and bolts.

Not sure of a paint job, I like the way it is. Maybe a good polish with some beeswax and a protective laquer. Maybe a preservation not a restoration.

It will give me something to do while in self isolation LOL.

13 hours ago, Graham said:

You can get a pretty good alignment by using a mounted scope.

Set the mount up as if you were setting the home position on a skywatcher mount then center Polaris in the scope using the azi dec adjustments.

This will give you a good starting point then drift align. 

Yup, or you could do what celestron did with the cge mk1 I had, get a polar scope, make a bracket and clip it onto the ra when you want to align, funnily enough it worked well.

4 hours ago, philjay said:

Yup, or you could do what celestron did with the cge mk1 I had, get a polar scope, make a bracket and clip it onto the ra when you want to align, funnily enough it worked well.

I had exactly the same idea Phil.

I placed a magnet onto the shafts and it stuck very well indeed so I would presume my shafts are steel, and not stainless steel would you guys presume the same.

I always thought a magnet doesn't stick well to Stainless is this correct?

Edited by Doc

Apparently there several types of stainless, I would have said stainless is non magnetic, but looking on the web...:

A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. ... However, the most common stainlesssteels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

So there you go, unhelpful or what 😊👍

56 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Apparently there several types of stainless, I would have said stainless is non magnetic, but looking on the web...:

A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. ... However, the most common stainlesssteels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

So there you go, unhelpful or what 😊👍

Thanks Stephen thats cleared it up nicely 😀

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Graham said:

You will probably find they are Chromium steel.

Hence the lack of rust.

Never thought of that Graham.

Spent a little time in the workshop today. Last year I purchased two 11" diameter aluminium blanks for another project that I didn't get round to so I used these to make an adapter to join the Fullerscope to the Barlebach tripod. I wanted to incorporates an azimuth adjustment slot that gives the operator about 20 degrees of adjustment for polar aligning so after a few minutes of head scratching I came up with this. They are a little large in diameter but I don't have anyway to make them smaller, they are way to big for my lathe.

One day I must get a dividing head or rotary table but drilling and filing the slots kept me fit. The next job is to sort some adjustment in altitude, better start scratching my head again.

Fullerscope IV Mount Restoration

Edited by Doc