• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My new toy a Fullerscope IV mount.

Doc

Spent the day in the workshop again and this time built myself a dovetail clamp for the Fullerscope. It's 250mm long and 125mm wide and has three large thumbscrews to tighten the clamp up, the telescope ain't going anywhere. Just waiting for some springs to arrive now to put in the dovetail clamp.

Fullerscope IV Mount - Michael Bird

Edited by Doc

After a bit of faffing around I mangaed to get the worm and wheel roatating in unison. There is still a little backlash in the gears but it's pretty good. I made a few videos for you to view, next step will be pulleys, belts and stepper motors.

• Like 2

Yes Clive it's a Myford ML7 from 1948. 

The milling maching you can see is a Sharp Mk11 from the Town Bent Engineering.

Just caught up with this myself Mick, stunning work. Are you planning a new scope for is it intended for the current flock?

Thanks John.

I'm not sure what to do with it to be honest. It was something to do in my workshop. What I have decided is to add motors and make it a go-to mount. Then either wait for a 6" F15 lens to come along and build a refractor or restore an old Fullerscope 8.5" Newtonian. Them maybe dabble in a bit of video astronomy (EAA) while using the shed as a warm room. I always have the 5" triplet and Clave to put on it as well.

Looking good Mick.

If you can get it to slew at that speed it will be impressive 😀

• 4 weeks later...

You have done a cracking good job with that Mick, you must have had loads of fun sorting it so far... 🔭👍

What a great thread and what a stunning looking bit of engineering. When was the mount built?

1 hour ago, silentrunning said:

What a great thread and what a stunning looking bit of engineering. When was the mount built

I'm not sure John but I would guess at early 1980's. I remember wandering around Telescope House in Farringdon Road in the early 80's and they had one of these mounts in the window and I thought them one day I would own one.

On 30/04/2020 at 13:01, Doc said:

. Them maybe dabble in a bit of video astronomy (EAA) while using the shed as a warm room. I always have the 5" triplet and Clave to put on it as well.

Didnt you used to have a Watec Mick?

I did Phil and I sweared I would never use one again 😄

But the warm room might tempt me again, we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would update my work on the Fullerscope Mount.

While trying to attach a plate to the bottom of the RA worm housing the metal on the original just gave way, it was very soft and just crumbled away so I decided to remake the worm housing with a bronze bush. I then designed a plate to house the stepper motor and attached it to the bottom of the new worm housing. The stepper motos are nema23, 0.9° step, 1.26Nm, 2.8 amp. I then added GT2 pulleys and installed the wiring inside a nema 23 back panel via a cable gland.

My next job is to do the whole lot again on the Dec axis, not sure if I should make a new worm housing to match. I'll see when I start drilling and taping the old one. The metal these one fullerscopes are made out of is not very strong and threads easily strip.

New worm housing made

Worm housing attached to the new base plate

Stepper motor bracket attached to the base plate

GT2 pulleys attached.

The Nema23 back cover which will have a cable gland installed

The flex will be connected to a EQStar control box so it will have Go-To capability.

I need a 105 toothed GT2 pulley belt.

Video

Edited by Doc

Excellent work mate, will a 105 toothed belt be a standard or custom made length?

Thanks John.

It doesn't need to be exactly 105 teeth I have got some adjustment on the belt.

Today I made the plate and bracket to hold the Nema23 Declination motor and pulleys. The motor is the same as the RA one being a 2.8 amp, 1.26Nm, 2.5v, and 0.9° step angle type. Just like the RA motor the Dec motor requires a 105 tooth GT2 belt.

The DEC housing drilled tapped perfectly this time so there was no need to make a copy out of aluminium like I did on the RA housing.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Done some more to the Fullerscope mount last week. I tried to blend the old paint with the new paint and to be honest it was a difficult job. In the end I mainly just painted most of the mount, to get a good finish on wrinkle paint I found you had to warm up the mount with a heat gun first and then apply two heavy coats. Then gently warm the paint until it cures and leaves a wrinkle finish.

I replace the wood riser with metal columns as the wood began to bow. 

All that is left is a polar bracket/scope which I have designed but needs building and to get a control box to run the motors from via CduC.

The mount is rock steady with the 120ED Esprit on board there is no dampning down time at all.

Here is some photos.

Very nice. Changing the wood block to risers looks much better. I temember getting spray cans of crinkle paint in the 70s, I painted loads of mounts and scope bits with it, unfortunately its been unavailable for decades, carconogenic or something.