• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Banding

Bottletopburly

I have noticed a banding on my images during last two sessions , now the only thing that changed was  my guide camera , now could it be I’m now dithering too many pixels , could it be led flat panel faulty causing issue  , stacked in Siril as normal using script no darks , I will restack lights on their own and see if I can work out if it’s flats or bias frames causing issues or if dithering causing, has anyone seen this before large.6D7F15A1-71FB-4341-B922-9FFEDAEB7202.jpeg.944fbf3d91d438be6bcbbf139b464d33.jpeg

I had this a while ago and I sorted it by adding another paper layer to my LED panel..?

Not sure if this will help as it wasn't as bad as your example!

Cheers

Ron

1 hour ago, RonC said:

I had this a while ago and I sorted it by adding another paper layer to my LED panel..?

Not sure if this will help as it wasn't as bad as your example!

Cheers

Ron

Yeah, I had exactly that too whilst taking flats, and agree with Ron, another layer of paper sorted it.

Process of elimination though, so let us know how you get on Dave

Cheers @RonC @Derbyshire Dave   I think you maybe right I was thinking it may be to do with the refresh rate will have a play , camera still fixed to scope so I can redo flats and check will update.

1 hour ago, Ibbo said:

Just a thought if you can rotate the flats panel.

Good idea 💡 Steve 👍

Seem to be getting somewhere problem is the flats , I tried with an iPad setting histogram one third from left no banding seen even using the stretching in APT , now I put two sheets of white baking paper in front of panel no difference add white A4 paper, the same , banding can be seen but if I use pink paper instead of A4 paper   Set histogram one third to left ( I measure  exposure using av mode on Nikon but manually set in Apt as  av mode can’t be set the same as a canon in APT ,  will run a stack in Siril and see how it compares to the iPad flats ( tried turning flats panel makes no difference).

So before i bin the EL panel i have now put two A4 sheets between perspex and EL panel and followed the advice in article https://www.myastroscience.com/proper-flats-with-dslr so a 20 sec exposure gives a mean value of 16383.0  so  a bit of experimenting with exposures i need half that and a 1.2 sec exposure gives a Mean value of 8055.5  can anyone tell me is the 1.2 sec looking any good for a Flat ,using AV mode does not work properly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znfszypsbnuwart/Single__0003_ISO200_20s__NA.NEF?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9n7kybunsq1h1g/Single__0007_ISO200_1.2s__NA.NEF?dl=0

Are the flats for a OSC? If so, is the mean ADU the same for each channel?  The 1.2s image seems to be lacking in green?

Thanks @Clive  osc  Nikon D5300 it seems that article is not true and you can’t treat a dslr the same as a ccd I will have a tinker with the Av setting now I have put two white A4 sheets in front of panel  it may be the EL panel is duff due to the banding I was getting.

Tracing panel ordered off eBay £9.99 can’t be doing faffing about with the EL panel (which I think is duff due to banding which it wasn’t doing before)

Just a thought on this.

If you have rotated the flats panel 90 degrees and it made no difference then the issue must be with the camera not the panel.

54 minutes ago, Graham said:

Just a thought on this.

If you have rotated the flats panel 90 degrees and it made no difference then the issue must be with the camera not the panel.

I did think that Graham but using an iPad is fine hence just ordering a tracer panel and cutting my losses with this particular EL panel 

That would probably have more to do with the refresh rate on the I pad screen and the panel.

There must be a frequency issue between the panel and the camera.

If it was simply an issue with the panel the banding would have rotated with the panel. 

Do you save direct to the pc from the camera.

Do you use an independent cable from the camera or do you use a usb hub.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Do you save direct to the pc from the camera.

Do you use an independent cable from the camera or do you use a usb hub.

When I’m imagining I use a usb3 hub connection to shed pc all running usb3, a chap on Sgl  reckons the 1.2 sec exposure looks good and similar to his 5d flats and he takes his flats similar to the article ,info here https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351043-flats-issues/?tab=comments#comment-3825441

Might be worth a try to run the camera on a separate usb cable.

My old Canon used to pick up interference from the power supply when using a hub.

It might also pay to keep the independent usb cable away from the other leads on the rig.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Might be worth a try to run the camera on a separate usb cable.

My old Canon used to pick up interference from the power supply when using a hub.

It might also pay to keep the independent usb cable away from the other leads on the rig.  

I will try that need to take  exposure values with the 200pds as that’s setup on the mount  see what I get from the reflector compared to the refractor , 

• 2 weeks later...

Tracer panel turned up and initial test seems promising probably a little bright I ordered the non dimmable version , maybe I can add a dimmer switch at a later date but for now I can use a couple of sheets of white paper so next outing I will take two sets of flats one using Av mode and one using the Nina flats wizard the latter uses a different method using the adu value to find best setting , initial test showed a value of about 0.6 sec nothing to lose, will compare how they look after stretching and wiping in Startools.

Tracer panel work in progress mounted to a 6mm board and secured usb lead as seems a bit flimsy so will see how it goes as a flats panel 

large.0AED1294-E279-49CE-9982-298FCC114003.jpeg.61921ec11fe190e9881ecfa37f8c3d68.jpeg

Edited by Bottletopburly

• 2 weeks later...

@Graham a. bit more  detective work  on El panels and I read somewhere that to reduce banding on El panels it’s advisable to use longer exposure of 1/2 sec  for Flats so last night I did two flats one using the NINA software flats wizard  which calculates the optimal exposure time via linear extrapolation and that decided on a 0.4  sec exposure and a 0.5 sec exposure using apt setting so will be interesting to see if these work once we get a clear night to check , I used the stretch image function in apt and sure enough at 1/60 th banding can be seen once you start using longer exposures this disappears,  maybe quality of El panels doffer from panel to panel .

note I found the tracer panel to be uselesss as they are side lit from one edge giving uneven illumination .

Edited by Bottletopburly

Been messing with El panel , piece of white cloth in front of el panel then sandwich 20 mm frame between panel and Perspex  seems to blur the panel better ,and at 1/40 sec can’t see any banding present so clear night required to test .