• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi

Sheila

Hello there,

I expressed a desire for someone to buy me a telescope for my birthday. They did and now I need help!

I am a complete novice as far as practical Astronomy goes. The telescope is an 8" Newtonian with an EQ5 goto mount and various other stuff.

I am having trouble setting it up as the instructions seem fairly useless. Is there anywhere I can go for help or someone to show me how to do this? I would like to do some Astrophotography once I get the hang of it. I've tried looking for stuff on the internet but not had much success with this combination.

Done Astronomy and planetary science to degree level but it was all the technical stuff and no practical.

Thank you

Sheila

Hi and welcome to EMS.

What sort of issues are you having with set up? Is it how to put it all together, or the set up side from the goto?

Regards,

Darren.

Hi Sheila and a warm welcome to EMS :)

We have members very close to your area some of whom I'm sure will offer help - I've helped many new members in the Leicester area. Alternatively you'd be welcome to attend one of our meetings at Sawley or Belper for an initial visit and we'll help get you going. You've got a very nice setup which will do all that you're hoping and more.

Meantime enjoy the forum and pop a few specific questions in the help section and we'll be able to help with anything from finder alignment to taking a photo :)

Hi Sheila, a warm welcome to EMS.

Well you have got a good scope to be going on with, and I don't think it will be too long before you have tamed it.

Iam just up the road at Watnall, so if you want I'll pop over one night and give you a hand if that's any help.

Enjoy the forum and feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome Sheila.

You've definitely come to the right place. Lot's of very friendly and helpful people here at EMS.

With a degree in Astronomy and planetary science you will probably be able to help us :) .

I think I managed to set it up and balance it but have no idea if it is correct. The skies have been cloudy and I have no idea how to polar align or anything else, nor how to operate to goto! I didn't think I was stupid, but now I am reassessing this assumption.

Sheila

Hi Sheila, I have the same set up, so put your'e questions on here for us all to see. You will not ask anything that hasn't been asked before!!

Enjoy yourself

Ron

I think I managed to set it up and balance it but have no idea if it is correct. The skies have been cloudy and I have no idea how to polar align or anything else, nor how to operate to goto! I didn't think I was stupid, but now I am reassessing this assumption.

Sheila

Hi.

Not 100% sure on the balancing side of things but if you have a goto then there should be no need to polar align but you will need a clear night as you will at least need to do a 2 star align, if not 3.

When star aligning, it is best to pick 2 stars that are about the same altitude and as far apart as possible, that way it makes the goto more accurate.

As for operating the goto, I have set a few people's systems up, so can help you there.

Like Martyn says above, give Martyn or myself a shout if you need further help, one of us could all ways pop round, your not too far away from us!

Edited by Daz type-r

Hi.

Not 100% sure on the balancing side of things but if you have a goto then there should be no need to polar align

This statement might not be 100% accurate. Let me do some digging and I will confirm.

Hi Shelia and welcome to EMS

An eq mount has to as least point towards north. One of the tripod legs should have an N on it to aid that. This is usually enough to enable the mount to follow an object across the sky.

This statement might not be 100% accurate. Let me do some digging and I will confirm.

Yep, would just like to confirm that I was talking rubbish, I have help people set-up their ALT/AZ mounts which DO NOT require polar allignment, but you have a EQ mount so correct polar alignment and balancing will be required. I have never done this so will bow out.

Sorry to all for any confusion caused.

:blush:

Hi and welcome.

I have a similar setup and it does take a while to get the hang of setting up.

Yes I think I may need either Darren or Martin to help as I do not even know what questions to ask. I don't like to be a pain though. Also I assume we would need a clear night which does not look like it is going to happen soon :-(

Please contact me and we will try and sort out either of you popping over when it's going to be clear. Thanks for all your comments and welcome.

Sheila

Hi.

I have pm'ed Martyn to see what he thinks, I would of copied you in but you need 10 posts or more before you can use the private messenger.

One of us will get back to you.

Regards,

Darren.

Hi again.

Blimy that was quick.

Martyn and Myself are free this Thursday night, I know we need a clear night to do the job properly but at least we could setup, balance the scope and then run through with you everything you need to do when the clouds do decide to do one.

As mentioned above, you need 10 posts or more to use the private messager so you can either get posting away, or you can give me a ring or a text with your address as you do not want to advertise to everybody where your shiny new kit is.

Let me know what you think, my number is 07970 436 898.

Regards.

Hi they're and welcome from me we have a meeting at the Belper site on the 20th of July pop along you would be more than welcome and ,if you scope fits in the transport you have bring it with you.

Pat

Where is Belper site? and what time, i will see if i can make it. Scope will fit in transport and i can just about pick it up!

Sheila

Welcome I see your finding the right kind of help.

Daz, not a good idea to post your mobile in an open forum ;)

Welcome I see your finding the right kind of help.

Daz, not a good idea to post your mobile in an open forum ;)

Tom, had to do it loads of times all ready, people need help to find the dark sites etc, as we don't know who is turning up, I can't really Im everybody, also, when they are on route (like last time) if I did not give people my number some of them could not find it!

Same sort of thing above, until Sheila hits 10 posts, I have no other way of getting in contact with her, can't really have here putting her address on an open forum.

The one downside to being helpfull!

Edited by Daz type-r

I think Tom means not to give the number in open forum - far better to send it via pm :)

I think Tom means not to give the number in open forum - far better to send it via pm :)

I can't KIm, she has not got 10 posts so pm is unavailable to her!

Guest Steve

Mods - Maybe there should be a Sticky Note in the Welcome section to let new users know about the 10-post PM thing?

It certainly confused me when I joined - people asked me to send PMs and there was no sign of it!!!