• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Nottingham

David_B

Hi All,

Just a quick hello from a Newbie in South East Notts. 

Space and all it's beauty has always been a lifelong passion of mine that resulted in purchasing a Skywatcher 200P on a HEQ5 mount 11 years ago which unfortunately hasn't seen any action for the last 10 of those due to the appearance of little earthlings and them taking up so much of my time - I still don't think anything prepares you for how much 😂 

The recent unfortunate position we find all ourselves in has given me the time to clear out my garage and stumble upon my telescope once again, rekindling my desire to pick up where I left off so long ago. 

I still class myself as a complete novice, with less observing nights than you can count on both hands, but hopefully now I can push on so I'm sure I'll be bending many an ear on here for pointers - apologies in advance!!

Hopefully meet many of you on the forum.

All the best and stay safe!

David

HI David and welcome to the forum, wow, 10 yrs of unused kit, least your back into in now, funny, I started observing when my little bundle of fun turned up as I found I had more time at home.

Welcome back to astronomy and to this forum David. I'm in Newark so not too far away from you I think.

Ask any questions you want on here, somebody will know the answer I'm sure.

Take care

Ron

Hi David, welcome aboard. They do take up some time don't they.

Great scope you have there, any problems just shout up, someone will be able to help. Of course, once the present crisis is over, you would be welcome to pop along to one of our meets at our darksites, we have two sites to use but both are presently closed.

Ad Astra,

Hi David.

Welcome. Hope to meet you sometime.

I still consider myself a beginner ; well, one or two rungs up the ladder from bottom anyway, certainly from an imaging perspective.

Theres always something new to learn, no matter who you are.

Hi David, welcome back to the world of astronomy. You've got a nice bit of kit to resume with and 10 years isn't so long - I only restarted my interest last year after 30 years and this forum has proved invaluable in bringing me up to date.

Clive 

Hi David, a warm welcome to the group.

Looks like the scope and mount might need a once over to make sure it's all good after ten years, it should be. Get it out in daylight and mount it up and see if it all works as it should and you are good to go. Your kids might be old enough now to take an interest themselves.

Ask any questions you might have, someone will help out. Have a good mooch round and make yourself at home, I look forward to meeting you after this has all blown over.

Welcome to the group David. I started off with a 200 mm reflector too and it served me well for many years. If you get half as much fun out of using it as i did then you're in for a great time. 

5 hours ago, RonC said:

Welcome back to astronomy and to this forum David. I'm in Newark so not too far away from you I think.

Ask any questions you want on here, somebody will know the answer I'm sure.

Take care

Ron

Thanks Ron, yes I’m about 20mins down the A46 from you in Cotgrave 👍

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, looking forward to much more interaction with you all, and of course some clear skies! 

Hi Dave, yes I know Cotgrave. I visit the model railway show at the hall across the road from the Leisure Centre!!

Edited by RonC

* EMD    ??  😉

Emergency Management Director ?  🤔

14 hours ago, David_B said:

Thanks Ron, yes I’m about 20mins down the A46 from you in Cotgrave 👍

You're quite close to one of our dark site at Wymeswold.

4 hours ago, tuckstar said:

You're quite close to one of our dark site at Wymeswold.

Thanks! Yes about 15-20 minutes. Where about's in Wymeswold is the site for future reference? I've noticed that I need to become a Dark Site Member to attend so I will definitely look into that too!

Any information on dates would be appreciated also. Thanks again.

46 minutes ago, David_B said:

Thanks! Yes about 15-20 minutes. Where about's in Wymeswold is the site for future reference? I've noticed that I need to become a Dark Site Member to attend so I will definitely look into that too!

Any information on dates would be appreciated also. Thanks again.

Hi,

The mother in law lives in Cotgrave, Whitelands if you know the street?

Once we get past all this Covid business and the dark sites are open again, meets will start to be arranged and then we can furnish you with all the details for you to come have a look.

Your first visit is free, just to make sure you like the location, us ETC and then if you still want to sign up, its £20 a year.

Hope to see you at a meet, when ever that will be.

2 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Hi,

The mother in law lives in Cotgrave, Whitelands if you know the street?

Once we get past all this Covid business and the dark sites are open again, meets will start to be arranged and then we can furnish you with all the details for you to come have a look.

Your first visit is free, just to make sure you like the location, us ETC and then if you still want to sign up, its £20 a year.

Hope to see you at a meet, when ever that will be.

Yes I know Whitelands, up the road from the Leisure Centre. 

Thanks for the info on the site meet, of course when this all settles down I’ll drop by and meet a few people and hopefully pick up some tips. 

How often do you usually meet? 

Cheers! 

We used to meet monthly but the turnout got less and less, a die hard few stuck with it but there has been no prearranged meet since November.  Adhoc meets have been arranged though, so if there is a clear night one night a list goes up and those who fancy it go, any dark site member can arrange one.