• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet ATLAS (C/2019 Y4)

silentrunning

Opened the obsy for the first time in 12 months the other day! Had to clean out a ton of spiders a mouse colony and a ton of mouse poop and figured it would be about a month of getting everything correct before I could start imaging again. Well I chose to start it all up to see what would give and all came to life without a hitch! A quick look at the optics and they seemed as clean as I had left them a year ago so figured I would see if it was all stilled optically aligned by grabbing a quick test image and this is what I got...

get.jpg?insecure

Unbelievable, literally the first sub in a year and it's full of Elon Musks's Starlink craziness! Oh well.

Good news was that after further checks it was clear that the alignment was as good as it ever is and I didn't even need to refocus, it had held perfectly all that time. The mount seemed to behave itself as well but could probably do with a good service but it's an EQ8 so I tend not to even look at it in case problems arise!.

Well that all boded well - apart from the sat trails - but the moon was as full as it gets so I was about to pack up when a fellow astrobod said there was a comet doing the rounds so I figured what the hell lets see if I can find it. Loaded some data from the web into stellarium, plate solved the mount and issued a slew, did a flip and there it was bang in the middle of the field!

Here is 40 frames strung together as a GIF. Uncalibrated so a few dust bunnies seem to been in orbit around it.

get.jpg?insecure

John

That was my concern Martyn but no they all look in perfect nick!

Bloody hell John you are still alive then. 😎

I was down your way a couple of weeks ago I could have dropped in for a cuppa.

Good to see you back and even better to hear the kit is all fit and well.

Stay safe.

Hi Graham.

Yes, still alive!

It would have been great to see you and catch up. Make sure you pop in if you come this way again.

Is that monster of a scope you were building still happening?

John

On 10/04/2020 at 19:12, BAZ said:

Nice one. When you said you had a herd of mice, I thought all your cables would be chewed up.

I've never heard of mice. What is the correct collective noun?