• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ideas on what this artifact is. Please

Graham

Like the title says.

I have my own thoughts on this but I would like to hear other folks ideas without me swaying opinion.

Now becoming the bane of my life.

If there is a bright star in the center then there is no snow.

Only happens when imaging a faint target.

spacer.png

yup i get this but only on the 130 not on the 106, just do flats and it gets rid of it.  Or dont stretch the image as far and not so noticeable then.  Think Ibbo gets this too

7 minutes ago, Sheila said:

yup i get this but only on the 130 not on the 106, just do flats and it gets rid of it.  Or dont stretch the image as far and not so noticeable then.  Think Ibbo gets this too

Thanks Sheila.

That is on low stretch you should see it on medium 😄

This is on the GT 81 

I have sent the question to Atik as well.

Thought it was the FF I put in place of the FF FR  but it still does it without either in the train.

Driving me nuts.

Edited by Graham

i gave up and just do flats... it is with the qsi with the kodak chip not the qsi with the sony chip.  No idea what it is Ibbo might know

Vignetting.

A flat field will take care of it .

I get it on the hight f/r scopes with LRGB  but its OK on the short ones and I can get away without a flat field but now tend to do them as a matter of course.

If you leave the ccd in place the flats can be reused.

its a right pita on the RC

large.Untitled-1.png.676605275c96f49ad52cb5ac429cc89b.png

Edited by Ibbo

1 minute ago, Ibbo said:

Vignetting.

A flat field will take care of it .

I get it on the hight f/r scopes but its OK on the short ones and I can get away without a flat field but now tend to do them as a matter of course.

If you leave the ccd in place the flats can be reused.

did not know you could re use the flats!!!  thought it had to be doe with each focus?

5 minutes ago, Sheila said:

did not know you could re use the flats!!!  thought it had to be doe with each focus?

It should really in an ideal world but I can use the same ones for a while .

It might be different with something a bit sorter in f/l rem I'm running at at 1500mm so my fcritical focus is a lort wider than at say 500/600 mm

Using a DSLR and lens then, apart from dust, nothing in the light path changes so I have used the same set of flats since first buying the lenses.

3 minutes ago, Clive said:

Using a DSLR and lens then, apart from dust, nothing in the light path changes so I have used the same set of flats since first buying the lenses.

And the clone stamp tool in PS 😎

Thanks Steve.

The problem is this is with the GT 81 which is pretty fast especially with the FR on.

I just swapped out the FF for the FF FR and it is still there even at about F 5 .

Had this same issue at kelling if you recall.

From last night  a stack that went wrong and did not use the flats for some reson but it shows why I do flats now

Without flats

large.Without.jpg.6a4cf09b63c61683d00c5bf49164e104.jpg

With flats

large_With.jpg.845b10ac2c098c13bee9931518f1765b.jpg

Edited by Ibbo

Thanks Steve.

Just waiting for it to get a bit darker so I can take some sky flats

Unless I'm missing something it's just "normal" vignetting. Flats will flatten it out. This is what my raw files look like...

get.jpg?insecure