• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Light

RonC

Great start.

Love the globular cluster shot.

don’t seem to see many pictures of globulars on EMS.

Looking good. Very promising opening salvo.

M3 is excellent (it is M3 and not M13 ?)

Nice images Ron, can't believe you had a clear night on delivery day - new kit normally evokes weeks of cloudy nights.

3 minutes to download an image, is that normal, would take up half the nights imaging time

It's a 20M Pixel camera and USB3 but I only have USB2 ports! I use 2x2 binning so only half the time !! 

Ron

My DSLR is 24M pixel and a CR2 raw file is typically 35M byte and downloads using USB2 in a few seconds, so how big are your files? (and 2 x 2 binning should reduce the time by 4). Do you use a dedicated USB port for the camera or is it through an external hub?

Hi Clive, files are 35Mb+ I do use a powered hub but only have USB 2 ports on the laptop. Still getting to grips with it all at the

moment. I think a new laptop is the next thing on the list as it really stretches my present one! DSLR CR2 files download very quick

but the laptop manages those easily.

Cheers

Ron

I assume your DSLR files are downloaded whilst the USB is only talking to the DSLR.  Just wondering if your guide camera is hogging the available computer USB port bandwidth if it's also run through the hub.

Good question! PHD does falter when an image is downloading, I noticed it last night but it's the art of compromise I suppose.

I'll get a newer, faster laptop when I can!! But not over the Summer!!

Cheers

Ron 

As your PC has 2 USB ports, if you can it may be worth running the camera direct to one of them and running everything else via the hub connected to the other. The chances are the 2 computer ports are just an internal PC hub but it may be worth a try.

Could try that except the USB 3 lead is only a metre long! Food for thought though, thanks Clive  👍

Well I tried the 3m USB 3 this afternoon and it made no difference!!

So I'll put up with the delays until I can get a faster USB 3 laptop.

After a caravan, a holiday and my summer-house build!! (oh and the lockdown!!)

Ron