• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Uneven image after stacking

Mostlycloudy

My several weeks of astrophotography have culminated at this point, Markarians Chain (i promise it's there somewhere)

I have taken the lens cover off, the mount tracks, the camera is focused and i found the target. After that it gets tricky.

This image is ISO 1000 for a total of 25 minutes stacked in DSS, several darks, a couple of flats and even added a bias to the mix. If you zoom in to the background it is uneven, fine linear features. I could tinker about with DSS trying different settings, more bias etc, but i suspect someone will know. Was going to try dithering tonight, while swearing at Elon Musks little friends as they drift past.

I haven't got any software beyond DSS at the minute.

Markarian Chain 25 mn I1000 5DII

It's not the worst Chain I've seen by a long way! More Darks and Flats I think, have you put this image through any photo software yet?

GIMP is free and quite easy to use.

Ron

I will definitely try more darks and flats, would matching the iso of the flat make much difference? Do you know where or if there is a debayer in DSS?

The stripes only show up > 10 minutes exposure.

‘GIMP’, will google that. 

Cheers

There seems to be a lot of detail in there that's just crying out for some post DSS processing.