• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M56

silentrunning

55 minutes ago, Clive said:

Looking at that (albeit on my phone) I'm not sure I would even bother with flats 😆

Probably make no difference but I need to grab some L flats for the M100 data so may as well grab RGB for these at the same time. We'll see how it goes. One thing, it will allow a wider crop though not a lot got chopped in this edit.

Heck John that is a lot of stars.

Could do with a run down of the kit you are using.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Graham said:

Heck John that is a lot of stars.

Could do with a run down of the kit you are using.

Hi Graham

Thought it was all in my signature but I hadn't set it up, DOH. Just corrected that.

It's the setup I've been using for sometime now. You are certainly familiar with the back end of it as you built one hell of an adapter for everything hanging of the back that has worked perfectly to correct the design flaws of the original arrangement which had the focuser and everything else effectively connected to the mirror cell. This would distort the image to different degrees based on the elevation of the target object. Your solution fixed all that.

The camera is a QHY11 which I acquired a few years ago second hand, it has a massive chip which has never reached it's full potential due to the long FL of the GSO 12" RC scope (2400mm), although this is reduced with a 2.7" Astrophysics FF/FR (~1950mm). This is connected - via another adaptor that you build - to a 2" SX Filter wheel. The camera would be awesome for large nebula etc if it was connected to a wider field scope. The previous owner had such a setup and the images he acquired of these objects, which are to big for my FOV were simply astonishing.Guiding is via an SX OAG connected to the filter wheel. The whole shebang which I think is about 38kg is mounted on an EQ8. 

My obsy is a converted potting shed which works brilliantly.

Can't remember the set up I had when you visited a few years ago, it may have been the one described above or it may have been the pre obsy EQ8 - belt converted by you. A couple of pictures from the obsy web cam....

t3BrymbPCa9v_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

hBnhq63kKWAM_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

4 hours ago, silentrunning said:

Here's a vid of it putting itself to bed...

Noticed the Led Zeppelin video at the end. I was at that Earls Court concert on Saturday 24th May 1975. Probably still got the memorabilia somewhere.

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Noticed the Led Zeppelin video at the end. I was at that Earls Court concert on Saturday 24th May 1975. Probably still got the memorabilia somewhere.

eh?

I suppose that's what you get for using social media and accepting website cookies, they just push something that they think you may be interested in. After your video of the scope going to bed, I got a video clip of the Led Zeppelin concert on my phone (but just a lot of garbage on the PC)!

1 hour ago, Clive said:

I suppose that's what you get for using social media and accepting website cookies, they just push something that they think you may be interested in. After your video of the scope going to bed, I got a video clip of the Led Zeppelin concert on my phone (but just a lot of garbage on the PC)!

Lol! I had visions of my video clip being hijacked by a sound track of Valhalla! Not necessarily a bad thing.

Nice set up John, I really need to convince my wife that we've got spare room in our garden for a small observatory. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

Nice set up John, I really need to convince my wife that we've got spare room in our garden for a small observatory. 

Thanks Dave, goers without saying really but a permanent set is a genuine game changer.