• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Swimming Grass Snake

Derbyshire Dave

I've not seen a snake in the wild in the UK for years and years, not since childhood.

I didn't realise grass snakes took to the water, but thinking about it a canal like that on a warm day must

provide a rich feeding ground for a hungry snake.

Nice picture !! 😀

• Like 1

Nice one, I've not seen a snake in the UK since I did the Pennine Way back in 1989.

• Thanks 1

Grass snake is probably the worst name it could have.Their natural habitat is water based and they eat what they can find in/near it. This includes fish, frogs and small mammals such as shrews. If you pick one up, it won't bite you, but it will crap on you and I can tell you bleach, swafega and vim don't get rid of the rotting fish smell it lasts days. 

14 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Grass snake is probably the worst name it could have.Their natural habitat is water based and they eat what they can find in/near it. This includes fish, frogs and small mammals such as shrews. If you pick one up, it won't bite you, but it will crap on you and I can tell you bleach, swafega and vim don't get rid of the rotting fish smell it lasts days. 

Yeah, I agree Martin, and am very impressed by your diligent reearch into snake poo!

Thanks for all of the comments guys, it was a real priviledge to see it so well. We've lived near the canal for many years, and sightings are rare.. thank goodness for camera phones

4 hours ago, BAZ said:

Grass snake is probably the worst name it could have.Their natural habitat is water based and they eat what they can find in/near it. 

I guess they have something in common with Anaconda's ?

They are green as well. Just a wee bit smaller......! 😀