• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Venus May 2020

Ibbo

Nice images Steve 🙂

I've been following it but am starting to lose it in the west due to the house over the road being parked in the way.

Inferior conjunction is June 3rd.

It passes very close to the sun on that day, so i think we'll lose it visually for a week or so either side of that date ?

Interestingly the Venus transits of 2004 and 2012, occurred on June 8 and June 5 respectively.

I remember the 2012 event being clouded out (i did try !) but the 2004 event was a lovely clear day and made for an unforgettable observing session.

I'm afraid the next one is not for another 97 years....!! I'll be 150 years old........🤫

Edited by Bino-viewer

Thanks folks.

Rob i have moved the mount round so I can get a bit more time on it.

I also missed out on the 2012 transit.

I have done a few mercurys though.

The 2004 transit  Star Centre (basically 5 of us for Hallam Uni) and Sheffeild Astro Society we did from Sheffield city centre peace gardens and got the entire event.

We did have a very short shower of rain early on which did not stop play.

For the 2004 event we had something like 4000 people through the marques to view it on large screen TV's and a load more via the live web broadcast we did.

The workhorse for the day was my 60 mm baby tak as the SAS Ha did not play ball and anyway was not full disc.

I am glad I took a bottle of sun block as one or two of them suffered.