• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Seriously considering rebooting Astrotec.

Graham

Now my arm is all fixed ( As best as it is going to be 😃 ) I am seriously considering getting Astrotec back up and running.

Main considerations are :-

1 - What is going to happen when and if this lock down is over.

Will I still have a job to go back to.

2 - The amount of work available.

Is there still a need for my services with other companies offering belt mods / servicing on the mounts.

Admittedly I have not found anyone else that makes all the bespoke gear I do.

3 - Do I need all the hours it takes to run the company again.

4 - Do I need all the grief of setting up the web site / payment options / Bank account again.

Throwing it out there for your valuable advice an input. 

What do you think ???

Should I or not. 😕

Best advice I can give is to wait out the lockdown and see how the land lies!! I don't think anybody has a real idea of how it's going to pan out Graham? ...

Can't give any advice just to say it will be great to know that Astrotec is back, if indeed you decide to reboot it.

For those who need mount mods, servicing and bespoke adapters etc etc you were the man!

Edited by silentrunning

1 hour ago, RonC said:

Best advice I can give is to wait out the lockdown and see how the land lies!! I don't think anybody has a real idea of how it's going to pan out Graham? ...

Sound advice there Ron. Thanks

7 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Can't give any advice just to say it will be great to know that Astrotec is back, if indeed you decide to reboot it.

For those who need mount mods, servicing and bespoke adapters etc etc you were the man!

Very kind of you to say so John. Thank you.

• Like 1

Well considering  your engineering background your well placed in the market , the poor  service other people offer Graham and not small change at that ( As I know only too well) and reading other peoples frustrations at other vendors service I’d say  you would get enough business  to tick over on just servicing mounts , word of mouth travels a long way in this hobby and you can make bespoke parts and as ron said keep an open mind see how the next few months pan out plus your a Top Guy  in my books graham anyone who does a 200 mile round trip to help someone out speaks volumes .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Well considering  your engineering background your well placed in the market , the poor  service other people offer Graham and not small change at that ( As I know only too well) and reading other peoples frustrations at other vendors service I’d say  you would get enough business  to tick over on just servicing mounts , word of mouth travels a long way in this hobby and you can make bespoke parts and as ron said keep an open mind see how the next few months pan out plus your a Top Guy  in my books graham anyone who does a 200 mile round trip to help someone out speaks volumes .

Thanks David.

• Like 1

Well I think you would be best to wait and see how things go at the moment. Bit up in the air at the moment to say the least 

as for the hassle, that has to be taken into account as the paperwork etc etc can be a pain and decent websites for orders and payment can be a little expensive and time consuming. Would have a serious think about it before you take the plunge again. 

9 minutes ago, Sheila said:

Well I think you would be best to wait and see how things go at the moment. Bit up in the air at the moment to say the least 

as for the hassle, that has to be taken into account as the paperwork etc etc can be a pain and decent websites for orders and payment can be a little expensive and time consuming. Would have a serious think about it before you take the plunge again. 

Thanks Sheila   Will be doing a lot of thinking over the next couple of weeks.

I've got a new clutch for my EQ8 rocking up today, it's the sort of thing I would love to have put your way because I know just how much pride you put into your work. But I also imagine it can be very stressful running a business and one that I presume only brings in a hobby level of income.

1 hour ago, silentrunning said:

I've got a new clutch for my EQ8 rocking up today, it's the sort of thing I would love to have put your way because I know just how much pride you put into your work. But I also imagine it can be very stressful running a business and one that I presume only brings in a hobby level of income.

Stressful at times and very long hours when I was busy.

Loved the work it was all the bloody paperwork that went along with it I didn't like.

At the start when I was the only one doing the belt mods I was averaging 5 mounts a week. Along with all the bits and bobs and piers ect, It was actually very lucrative.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Graham said:

Stressful at times and very long hours when I was busy.

Loved the work it was all the bloody paperwork that went along with it I didn't like.

At the start when I was the only one doing the belt mods I was averaging 5 mounts a week. Along with all the bits and bobs and piers ect, It was actually very lucrative.

Wow that is good to hear. I know how cheaply you built those adapters for me and wondered just how you could survive charging such little.

It just shows how much the Astro fraternity gets ripped off John

• Like 1

Well that might have decided things for me.

My presence has been requested  back at work from next Tuesday 

Edited by Graham