Jump to content

Please click here to read an announcement about EMS and the coronavirus.

  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

    Test

Graham

Seriously considering rebooting Astrotec.

Recommended Posts

Graham

Now my arm is all fixed ( As best as it is going to be¬†ūüėɬ†) I am seriously considering getting Astrotec back up and running.

Main considerations are :-

 

1 - What is going to happen when and if this lock down is over.

     Will I still have a job to go back to.

 

2 - The amount of work available.

     Is there still a need for my services with other companies offering belt mods / servicing on the mounts.

     Admittedly I have not found anyone else that makes all the bespoke gear I do.

 

3 - Do I need all the hours it takes to run the company again.

 

4 - Do I need all the grief of setting up the web site / payment options / Bank account again.

 

Throwing it out there for your valuable advice an input. 

 

What do you think ???

 

Should I or not.¬†ūüėē

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RonC

Best advice I can give is to wait out the lockdown and see how the land lies!! I don't think anybody has a real idea of how it's going to pan out Graham? ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silentrunning

Can't give any advice just to say it will be great to know that Astrotec is back, if indeed you decide to reboot it.

 

For those who need mount mods, servicing and bespoke adapters etc etc you were the man!

 

 

Edited by silentrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Graham
1 hour ago, RonC said:

Best advice I can give is to wait out the lockdown and see how the land lies!! I don't think anybody has a real idea of how it's going to pan out Graham? ...

 

Sound advice there Ron. Thanks

 

7 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Can't give any advice just to say it will be great to know that Astrotec is back, if indeed you decide to reboot it.

 

For those who need mount mods, servicing and bespoke adapters etc etc you were the man!

 

 

 

Very kind of you to say so John. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bottletopburly

Well considering  your engineering background your well placed in the market , the poor  service other people offer Graham and not small change at that ( As I know only too well) and reading other peoples frustrations at other vendors service I’d say  you would get enough business  to tick over on just servicing mounts , word of mouth travels a long way in this hobby and you can make bespoke parts and as ron said keep an open mind see how the next few months pan out plus your a Top Guy  in my books graham anyone who does a 200 mile round trip to help someone out speaks volumes .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Graham
2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Well considering  your engineering background your well placed in the market , the poor  service other people offer Graham and not small change at that ( As I know only too well) and reading other peoples frustrations at other vendors service I’d say  you would get enough business  to tick over on just servicing mounts , word of mouth travels a long way in this hobby and you can make bespoke parts and as ron said keep an open mind see how the next few months pan out plus your a Top Guy  in my books graham anyone who does a 200 mile round trip to help someone out speaks volumes .

 

Thanks David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheila

Well I think you would be best to wait and see how things go at the moment. Bit up in the air at the moment to say the least 

 

as for the hassle, that has to be taken into account as the paperwork etc etc can be a pain and decent websites for orders and payment can be a little expensive and time consuming. Would have a serious think about it before you take the plunge again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Graham
9 minutes ago, Sheila said:

Well I think you would be best to wait and see how things go at the moment. Bit up in the air at the moment to say the least 

 

as for the hassle, that has to be taken into account as the paperwork etc etc can be a pain and decent websites for orders and payment can be a little expensive and time consuming. Would have a serious think about it before you take the plunge again. 

 

Thanks Sheila   Will be doing a lot of thinking over the next couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silentrunning

I've got a new clutch for my EQ8 rocking up today, it's the sort of thing I would love to have put your way because I know just how much pride you put into your work. But I also imagine it can be very stressful running a business and one that I presume only brings in a hobby level of income.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Graham
1 hour ago, silentrunning said:

I've got a new clutch for my EQ8 rocking up today, it's the sort of thing I would love to have put your way because I know just how much pride you put into your work. But I also imagine it can be very stressful running a business and one that I presume only brings in a hobby level of income.

 

Stressful at times and very long hours when I was busy.

Loved the work it was all the bloody paperwork that went along with it I didn't like.

At the start when I was the only one doing the belt mods I was averaging 5 mounts a week. Along with all the bits and bobs and piers ect, It was actually very lucrative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silentrunning
46 minutes ago, Graham said:

 

Stressful at times and very long hours when I was busy.

Loved the work it was all the bloody paperwork that went along with it I didn't like.

At the start when I was the only one doing the belt mods I was averaging 5 mounts a week. Along with all the bits and bobs and piers ect, It was actually very lucrative.

Wow that is good to hear. I know how cheaply you built those adapters for me and wondered just how you could survive charging such little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Graham

Well that might have decided things for me.

My presence has been requested  back at work from next Tuesday 

Edited by Graham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.