• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comments Please

silentrunning

Hi there

I've been gorping and tweaking this for far to long. What do you think. Immediate impressions would be most welcome to which one you prefer. Thanks. 

6xtcSOxMxIcu_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

The right hand one gets my vote.  The star colours look closer to natural and, as it doesn't have the 'blue rinse' of the left hand one, has better contrast.

• Like 1

Aesthetically the right hand one as it is easier on the eye.

For accuracy then the left hand one which shows exactly what is there.

The OIII region is vast in this area. 

• Like 1

Agree, LH one looks more natural but it's subjective.. I'd be pleased with either one!! 🙂

• Like 1

Left hand one as closer to the ideal I think.  RHS has sky too black, its not black out there and it loses some detail 😊

• Like 1

The right hand one for me.

I've compared your originals with those you've reprocessed and now I can't make up my mind as to which I prefer, I click on one and think yep this is the best but when I click on the other I think the same thing. Maybe the darker skies just edges it for me but it is really difficult to decide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glafnazur said:

The right hand one for me.

I've compared your originals with those you've reprocessed and now I can't make up my mind as to which I prefer, I click on one and think yep this is the best but when I click on the other I think the same thing. Maybe the darker skies just edges it for me but it is really difficult to decide.

Thanks, it also seems to depend on platform and monitor. It can look different when Astrobin displays it to when I'm processing it. Splitting hairs really but great to get other opinions and thoughts.

2 hours ago, silentrunning said:

Thanks, it also seems to depend on platform and monitor. It can look different when Astrobin displays it to when I'm processing it. Splitting hairs really but great to get other opinions and thoughts.

Yes, it's very monitor and site dependant. I try to avoid processing using my laptop screen as the intensity of the faint stuff varies significanty depending what angle I'm looking at the screen - I suppose that's what you get with a cheap laptop.  My desktop monitor seems OK but to be honest, my phone seems to give the best images but they are obviously very small. And images I post on my BAA web page always appear much darker than the original,  even when viewed side by side with the original upload on the same monitor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clive said:

Yes, it's very monitor and site dependant. I try to avoid processing using my laptop screen as the intensity of the faint stuff varies significanty depending what angle I'm looking at the screen - I suppose that's what you get with a cheap laptop.  My desktop monitor seems OK but to be honest, my phone seems to give the best images but they are obviously very small. And images I post on my BAA web page always appear much darker than the original,  even when viewed side by side with the original upload on the same monitor.

My recent post of M13 was pretty well received but when I view it on my laptop the core looks burnt out unless you I'm absolutely straight on to the screen. On my processing PC - which has a excellent monitor - the core is perfectly resolvable. I deliberately left it as bright as possible as it's easy to over flatten M13 in a attempt to bring the core down. But it's not over exposed on any individual frame so it shouldn't be in the integrated stack either. As you say the laptop is a nightmare in terms of viewing angle. 

This has yet to be put through the new workflow....

vWNOAT6DHl_v_1824x0_sWXLOnwG.jpg