• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Ashbourne

matt_baker298

Hi there, I'm Matt and I'm from Ashbourne. Always been a lurker here but I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 18 and studying A levels with hopes to go onto uni and study astrophysics/astronomy.

About 6 years ago, I was lucky enough to get a 130SLT for Christmas after bribing my parents. They never encouraged me to get into astronomy, I just did it off my own interest and will, researching things online and reading up about astrophotography.

I now own a trusty 130PDS, HEQ5 Pro and a Canon 600D modded. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to save up and purchase something like an Esprit 80 and a cooled CMOS to do some serious widefield but right now the main hindrance is my back garden which I have a very limited FOV, so I have to travel to my grandparents to get good views (pre Covid). 

I thought I'd rather post my previous work here instead of on the imaging section since it was taken a few months back.

All acquisition can be found on Flickr  

First up is my personal favourite which took a lot of time and patience to do. It's a whopping 93MP Mosaic of the half Moon taken back in early March.

93MP 50% Lunar Mosaic (53 Panels)

Next up is a shot of the Pleiades that I took in early January

M45 - The Pleiades

After that is the Elephant's Trunk Nebula. I had some issues that weren't apparent until it came to processing. I had streaks that look like walking noise but it's due to my polar alignment being off or down to diff. flexure

IC1396 - The Elephant's Trunk Nebula

And finally is M13 which is my most recent one of which I've cropped down heavily to really show off the cluster

M13 - Great Globular Cluster in Hercules

• Like 3
Bottletopburly

welcome matt love the moon some great images , walking noise can be overcome by dithering i use Astrophotography tool which supports dithering then no need for Darks just flats and bias frames 

matt_baker298
1 minute ago, Bottletopburly said:

welcome matt love the moon some great images , walking noise can be overcome by dithering i use Astrophotography tool which supports dithering then no need for Darks just flats and bias frames 

Forgot to mention I actually was dithering at max setting in apt

Derbyshire Dave

Matt,

Welcome to EMS. I joined EMS about 4 years ago, and have always been impressed by the friendliness of the forum, and the people wanting to give help when you need it. There's a great selection of people with vastly different ranges of experience and equipment.

There's also the dark site meets, we have one at Belper, near Alderwasley, which would be easy for you to get to from Ashbourne.  The other dark site is Wymeswold in Leicestershire. They're different, and both are interesting. We also have 'away' meets, last year it was Kelling Heath in Norfolk, and then Halse Farm in Exmoor.

Look forward to meeting you hopefully.. enjoy the forum.

The moon shot is a cracker! I would put that in as a separate post under Imaging Gallery/Lunar and give us a load of details..

Welcome to the group Matt. I’m new here myself. Those are some amazing photos! I am working on trying to get to see some of these myself lol

Bottletopburly
16 minutes ago, matt_baker298 said:

Forgot to mention I actually was dithering at max setting in apt

i use a scale value of 1 in phd2 and 3 in apt with your guide  camera thats  is about 15 pixels as i used to use a qhy111-5l c 

Hello Matt,

Welcome;I am new here myself.

Very impressed at your images.  Keep it up and please share your secret tips with me!

Chris 

Bino-viewer

Hi Matt,

Nearly met you last year (i met your dad iirc) !!

Hope the guider cam is doing ok ?

Nice images btw, something for me to aspire to......

Enjoy the forum...😀

matt_baker298
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Hi Matt,

Nearly met you last year (i met your dad iirc) !!

Hope the guider cam is doing ok ?

Nice images btw, something for me to aspire to......

Enjoy the forum...😀

Did you attend one of the now disbanded wpoag meetings?

Edited by matt_baker298
matt_baker298
44 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Matt,

Welcome to EMS. I joined EMS about 4 years ago, and have always been impressed by the friendliness of the forum, and the people wanting to give help when you need it. There's a great selection of people with vastly different ranges of experience and equipment.

There's also the dark site meets, we have one at Belper, near Alderwasley, which would be easy for you to get to from Ashbourne.  The other dark site is Wymeswold in Leicestershire. They're different, and both are interesting. We also have 'away' meets, last year it was Kelling Heath in Norfolk, and then Halse Farm in Exmoor.

Look forward to meeting you hopefully.. enjoy the forum.

The moon shot is a cracker! I would put that in as a separate post under Imaging Gallery/Lunar and give us a load of details..

Thank you! I definitely will do

matt_baker298
38 minutes ago, Al Long said:

Welcome to the group Matt. I’m new here myself. Those are some amazing photos! I am working on trying to get to see some of these myself lol

Thanks! You'll get there don't worry, just takes time, lots of trial and error plus some good old patience

matt_baker298
26 minutes ago, CTGB said:

Hello Matt,

Welcome;I am new here myself.

Very impressed at your images.  Keep it up and please share your secret tips with me!

Chris 

Haha thank you. You can ask me anything anytime about how I took these

Kobiyoshimaru

Hi Matt, 

I’ve just joined the site also. Your images are awesome. How did you go about taking them.

joe

matt_baker298
15 minutes ago, Kobiyoshimaru said:

Hi Matt, 

I’ve just joined the site also. Your images are awesome. How did you go about taking them.

joe

There's a lot that goes into that answer which I don't think can be covered in a few paragraphs haha

Hi Matt and welcome to EMS 🙂

Very impressive bunch of shots. Your moon is stunning, and I can see the propeller in M13 clear as daylight (so to speak lol). Hope to catch you at a meet once I'm back in the game. 🙂

Hi Matt, a warm welcome to the forum.

Well, there's an entrance, clearly you have worked hard to obtain images like that and long may it continue. Please feel free to ask any questions you have, someone will be along to help.

You certainly have got the most out of the equipment you have, those images are impressive.

Make yourself at home and enjoy your time here.

matt_baker298
36 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Hi Matt, a warm welcome to the forum.

Well, there's an entrance, clearly you have worked hard to obtain images like that and long may it continue. Please feel free to ask any questions you have, someone will be along to help.

You certainly have got the most out of the equipment you have, those images are impressive.

Make yourself at home and enjoy your time here.

Thank you! I definitely will do

matt_baker298
3 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Hi Matt and welcome to EMS 🙂

Very impressive bunch of shots. Your moon is stunning, and I can see the propeller in M13 clear as daylight (so to speak lol). Hope to catch you at a meet once I'm back in the game. 🙂

Thanks! Hope to meet some of you too once things have settled

Hi Matt, welcome aboard. Can't really add anything that's not already been said, so enjoy the forum and I look forward to seeing some more of your photos and maybe catch up at a darksite meeting once we start again.