• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Retiring from forum life. My last post.

Graham

After much soul searching I have decided to bow out from forum life.

In the 8 plus years I have been on here I have made and fixed hundreds of bits and pieces for the folks on here.

In all that time I have never charged anyone a single penny not even for the post to get the stuff to you.

To those people I said you are more than welcome and that still applies now ..... YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME.

it would seem word has got out and I have notice a growing number of people joining this forum with the soul aim of getting in contact with me to make / mend their gear. 

After they have achieved their goal they disappear into the night having made no contribution to this forum whatsoever.

I am not prepared to let this piss take continue.

So I wish all the good folks on here clear skies and good luck with your astronomical endeavors.

I will be dropping in from time to time to say hello.

Very sad to hear this Graham, I know I have suggested folk get in touch with you in the past and I now regret it....

I hope we still see you at Kelling ??

Look forward to your future visits here.

Stay well and safe mate..

Ron

Because you have access to the machines and material to be able to help people doesn't mean you have to Graham. The choice is yours all you need to say is no. Obviously you enjoy it here, I would say the chatroom is your second home, it would be a shame to forget all that.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is, it would be a shame to lose you from the forum.

• Like 2

I had noticed that it had gone very quiet on the 'eastern front', and I fully understand where your coming from. I haven't been on here long but I will miss your contributions ...

33 minutes ago, Graham said:

After much soul searching I have decided to bow out from forum life.

In the 8 plus years I have been on here I have made and fixed hundreds of bits and pieces for the folks on here.

In all that time I have never charged anyone a single penny not even for the post to get the stuff to you.

To those people I said you are more than welcome and that still applies now ..... YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME.

it would seem word has got out and I have notice a growing number of people joining this forum with the soul aim of getting in contact with me to make / mend their gear. 

After they have achieved their goal they disappear into the night having made no contribution to this forum whatsoever.

I am not prepared to let this piss take continue.

So I wish all the good folks on here clear skies and good luck with your astronomical endeavors.

I will be dropping in from time to time to say hello.

genuinely sad to hear this has happened Graham but understand why you'd feel this way. You've always commented on my posts and I've really enjoyed following your projects, valued your opinion on matters astronomy and photo processing. I'll miss you for all of that

I am sorry that the pressure has driven you to this Graham, but your health and well being comes first. We will try and make sure that your wishes are met and deter any further inquiries for you. Take care mate and thanks for your outstanding presence on here, your engineering adventures will be missed, but keep in touch.

I will miss you on here, especially as we have a mutual interest in meteors. Please DM me if you'd like to keep in touch.

I'm genuinely lost for words. Is there no way you can separate out the "work" requests from the forum contributions? I'm gutted to think you feel this way but totally respect your decision. 

• Like 2

Graham,

I am truly shocked. I understand what you are saying, and that if that is what has been happening, then it really is taking the piss.

You have helped me out with discussions about software and cameras and your knowledge has always been oustanding. You range of different subjects,form meteor tracking to DSO photography, through so many other avenues is truly breathtaking.

Surely there must be a way to stay engaged with all of your friends and filter out the unwanted attention. I implore you, stay with us, if you leave us it will be a huge loss to the forum.

You've always been extremely generous Graham and I know you do it for the love of astronomy. But unfortunately there will be some folks who take the mickey with decent chaps like yourself. So I totally get where you're coming from quitting servicing astro gear - what's the point if folks don't show their appreciation? Just know your mates are always here any time you want to drop in and say hi, or even put up your latest pic or observation. Stay in touch and I hope we see you again (maybe Kelling or other meet).  All the best 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that Graham ; the forum will be losing one of its brightest stars. (I'd class you as a Vega or an Arcturus ! 🌟😉

There have certainly been a lot of new members to the forum recently, and i think your reasoning is quite compelling.

Having lost Pete (Tweedledee) a year or so ago, and now you, well thats a double whammy. 

Whichever route you take, i wish you all the very best, and good health and prosperity. 👍🏼🔭☺️

Really  shocked and saddened to hear that news graham as some one that has benefited from your help and wisdom  i am eternally grateful and you will be sorely missed .

Dave  

i really thought you were doing it as a business, i know you did mounts and made custom stuff,  you serviced Nick and Myself`s NEQ6 pro mounts a few years back after a weekend at Kelling, i`m sorry if you are not still doing it and i would certainly never ask anyone to do stuff for free or expect it to be free and never would.

Is there not another way graham. Have a chat with Craig and maybe we can ‘hide’ who you are and just real friends would know and not pass it on to anyone?  There must be another solution to this?

• Like 2

I am very sorry to read of your decision.

I understand your reasons.

You will be sadly missed as you have been a main poster on here and I aslo consider you a mate, even though we only met face to face last year at Kelling.

if you do decide to return you will be welcomed back by all.

Just heard from Rob Graham about this 

your problem is your a great man who will help anyone and doesn’t expect anything in return (maybe a cup of black coffee or bacon sandwiches at Kelling)

Thank you for all for all your help and assistance over the years and for swapping pitches last year at Kelling

hopefully see you this October at Kelling clear skies and good luck 

will miss your images etc on the forum keep building and imaging 👍

This is very sad. I’ve enjoyed following your projects and reading your posts. I wish you all the best.

I'm sorry to hear that Graham.

There must be a way for Craig to make you incognito on the Forum or stop people being able to contact you via the Forum?

Sorry to hear you're leaving Graham. I've not been a member of the group for long but your name popped up regularly and I always enjoyed your posts.  Your daily solar images during lockdown were something I looked forward to.

• Like 2

Hmm unexpected news, Graham. A lot of folk on here including myself look up to your advice. 

Had no idea some were expecting you to make stuff for free?