• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tips for insuring an 18 year old

Bottletopburly

So my lads just landed an apprenticeship as a software engineer so I have four weeks to find a car , so looking at small cars , corsa sized which brings me to finding insurance, any tips for those that have been here before , I hearing get a black box fitted and maybe adding his mum on insurance anyone else have any tips  on finding best price .

cheers Dave 

About 4 years ago I insured my daughter on a automatic Nissan Micra, I think it was a 2004 model and it was with Direct Line. I cannot remember the exact figure but for a 20 year old, first car on her own insurance was £750 third party fire and theft. Ironically nearly as much as what the car cost that's why I remember it.

I would imagine a young lad is going to be a lot more.

• Like 1

When my son got his first car (a few years ago now, the black boxes hadn't been invented) he got a substantial discount by just adding me as a named driver. I think that was with Aviva.

• Like 1

@Doc I had a quote fro Aviva to add him to my insurance to give him some driving experience  in December when he passed his test £1700 fully comp on a 1.7 Astra I passed on that.

Yes, with fully comp you will be always looking at silly prices whether it's on your insurance or on his own, and for young drivers there are normally large excesses.  He had an old Corsa worth a fraction of the fully comp price, so he just went for TPFT until he had built up some NCD and some experience. 

100% should go for a black box for the first year, no matter what. I don't see why you shouldn't go with fully comp since it protects against everything. I'd use compare the market and fill in the details to get a quote from various companies. Try different levels of voluntary excess and change the start date around to see what is cheapest. 6000 miles would be sensible if they have to travel quite a bit. Having his mum as a named driver could help, or even yourself. Just make sure he's the main driver so he gets his NCD

Edited by matt_baker298

• 4 weeks later...

Did you find a suitable car?

Citroen C1?

It is possible to save money elsewhere too, such as cars that have £0 road tax, and are over 10 years old as they usually qualify for classic insurance rate?

Early 2000 Ford KA or Nissan Micra? 

If it’s got good tyres and starts, has MOT, a £500 car could be scrapped when it finally needs work.

On 29/06/2020 at 22:03, M. said:

Did you find a suitable car?

Citroen C1?

It is possible to save money elsewhere too, such as cars that have £0 road tax, and are over 10 years old as they usually qualify for classic insurance rate?

Early 2000 Ford KA or Nissan Micra? 

If it’s got good tyres and starts, has MOT, a £500 car could be scrapped when it finally needs work.

We finally settled on  a 1.4 corsa 08 plate ,£1750  time was running out , a local garage sell cars that are always half decent and clean  tax wise not the most economical £165     Insurance +black box £1610 Tpft with Mrs on it saved about £250 -£300  if he got a ecomax version would have saved about £150 on insurance black box costs £150 that’s in the insurance cost , mileage he Weill be doing is about 15k a year 12k just to work and back so that doesn’t help ,a lot of younger insurance is worked on 8k a year , cars in tidy condition been looked after if he gets a couple of years out it then it will have served its purpose, he didn’t want a c1 too small which I said would have been fine tbh .

Edited by Bottletopburly

Not that it matters now, but did you run quotes on any other cars?

If your lad is paying, then fair play, but I’d be telling him what he’s driving if I was footing the bill lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, M. said:

Not that it matters now, but did you run quotes on any other cars?

If your lad is paying, then fair play, but I’d be telling him what he’s driving if I was footing the bill lol

yes he paying bank of dad back ,eventually lols ,tbh they all come back expensive .