• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nikon Action EX 10X50

Hi all,

As mentioned in my intro a week or 2 back, I took the plunge and bought my first astro gear - some Nikon action ex 10x50 binoculars.

They finally arrived a few days ago, having been out of stock for a while; typically I haven't had the chance to test them out in the evening just yet as they arrived on the day the weather turned rubbish!

As soon as I get the opportunity to do some night time gazing I will let you know my inexperienced thoughts and reviews.

Cheers

Chris 

• Like 4

Ah, so it's your fault the weather's gone downhill 😊. Hope you get the opportunity to get to use them in anger soon.

• 3 months later...
On 05/06/2020 at 16:52, CTGB said:

Hi all,

As mentioned in my intro a week or 2 back, I took the plunge and bought my first astro gear - some Nikon action ex 10x50 binoculars.

As soon as I get the opportunity to do some night time gazing I will let you know my inexperienced thoughts and reviews.

How's it going with the Nikons?  I might be interested in a pair myself.

• 3 months later...

Well it looks like I get to answer my own question on this one, since my Nikons have now arrived.
Daylight use (which is half of what I got them for) is amazing: bright and clear without being too heavy to hold (though a little support works wonders, I find. YMMV)
I appreciate the differential focus which allows you to get a target in woodland sharp and throw the distracting background out of focus.
The wide field of view helps pick up targets, especially moving targets, easily.  The right eyepiece diopter adjustment has a wide range, and works well.
Brighter and more contrasty than my Opticron Oregon 15x70s.
Twilight use or shaded daylight is better than any other binocular I've tried.

large.binobandit2b.JPG.805d3d0ebfd798b1c36f3d15c69db23c.JPG

Nightime use has been limited by fluffy stuff, but Mars and its environs showed well.  
Working under my neighbourhood street lamp generated some reflections round the large eyepiece lenses, but adding my Bino Bandits shielded the lenses well and still allows the twist-up eyecups to be used.  
However the objectives showed some glare when too close to the street light - maybe a lens hood arrangement would help, or being careful to avoid nearby light sources.

As a maximum-portability binocular I would recommend these as very good value for money.