• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Creating a custom landscape for Stellarium

Derbyshire Dave

If it's any help, and you want to try using my transparant background, it can be downloaded from Flickr. Take this link..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143213482@N03/49997032503/in/album-72157708765466056/

Choose the download button, and choose "Original Size". Rename it as "landscape.png"

Hope this is helpful, and not me just over complicating things!

Well after taking an hour to sort out my photo, I still can't get it to show in Stellarium!

Finger's ache now so taking Daisy for a walk!!

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonC said:

Well after taking an hour to sort out my photo, I still can't get it to show in Stellarium!

Finger's ache now so taking Daisy for a walk!!

Cheers

Ron

OK Ron,

1)Have you got the ini file and the png file?

2)Are they in a new folder (doesn't need to be named anything specific, but it does need to be in a folder)..

e.g. C:\Program Files\Stellarium\landscapes\Rons Folder..

PM me if you like, I'll give you my e-mail address, and have a look at your two files for you.

17 minutes ago, RonC said:

OK I'll check them, busy on Flight Sin ATM !!

Ron

Fligh SIN! Sounds a bit naughty!😅

Got it to run Dave BUT: 180' out and what 'View' do you use?

Ron

• Like 1

I use "stereographic" on the Sky Men Ron. The image file you sent me had not been reduced to 1640x1024, I have done that for you and e-mailed back.

I made a mistake in the INI file. SORRY. The angle_rotatex line should be immediately below the maptex line. Copy this into your ini file instead, and you should be able to rotate at will.

[landscape]

name = Ron, Lynn and Daisy's House in Newark

description = Shedatory + Man Shed

type = spherical

maptex = landscape.png
angle_rotatez = 180

[location]

latitude = +53d03'50"

longitude = -0d49'06"

altitude = 5

ANYONE ELSE HAVING A GO PLEASE COPY THESE BLUE LINES, NOT THE ORIGINAL ONES

11 hours ago, RonC said:

Looking a lot better now Dave, many thanks 👍

Great stuff Ron! It's pleasing isn't it, helps with the night's planning.

If anyone else fancies a go, I'll try and help in the same manner, i.e looking at the files if you are having problems.

• Like 1

Yes, even got the orientation spot on! But I'll have to take another image after that big conifer is removed next week!! I'll take less sky and more lower down than before!!

Cheers and thanks

Ron

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I have been trying to get this to work and every time I open it in stellarium the whole view is just pink. It seems that any time I edit the picture file or add a new png. file it wont read it. anyone run into this? I'm wondering if it has something to to with the png. file saving process from photoshop?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this Dave.

It also appears you can do something like this in Sky Safari (plus + pro versions) which i use myself

with iPhone / iPad. 

Does all this limit you to one observing position only though...?

For instance, i sometimes observe from the top of my garden to look East / South, with the house right behind me, but

occasionally move to the bottom to get a slightly better western view away from the house.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I do a similar thing here, front or back gardens. I created two separate landscapes, one for each, and I then just set the relevant one as default when I move position.

I’d be interested if you have got the Sky Safari one going, never tried that...

2 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Hi Rob,

I do a similar thing here, front or back gardens. I created two separate landscapes, one for each, and I then just set the relevant one as default when I move position.

I’d be interested if you have got the Sky Safari one going, never tried that...

I've not tried to do it myself yet on Sky Safari Dave, but plan to have a go.

I'll let you know if it works 🙂