• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Olympus camera division sell off

philjay

There were rumours of this late last year but it was denied by Olympus, they even released a new Mk3 Em1 to allay fears. Now they have announced they definately are selling and will complete by September.

I have been an Olympus fan since the 80s with my Om2 spot programne then when they developed their mirrorless I really fell for them using an EM10 and Em1 for wildlife and lunar and solar imaging.

Its a shame. They have been producing great cameras since 1936, they have been innovative and at the forefront of some market changeing technology.

They are selling to the same company who bought the Vio off Sony so hopefully the cameras will live on.

Edited by philjay
  • Like 2

Yep, heard of this the other day.

Shame really, but Oly, Nikon and one or two others seem to be losing money hand over fist lately. Long term, only Canon and Sony may be the few that survive.

Most casuals have transitioned to smartphones, sadly. The gap between M43 and the latest phones using computational photography has shrunk considerably.

I'll continue to use my two Oly bodies until they cease to function.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, M. said:

Is my omd mk2 likely to increase in value then 😁

If the new owners do what they promise I doubt it but if like many other buy outs we see the disappearance of certain models  then I reckon we may see a rapid drop in price (thats when I get my pro lenses 🙂 ) followed by a slow rise in price as people realise just how good these cameras were.

On 28/06/2020 at 23:44, 8472 said:

Yep, heard of this the other day.

Shame really, but Oly, Nikon and one or two others seem to be losing money hand over fist lately. Long term, only Canon and Sony may be the few that survive.

Most casuals have transitioned to smartphones, sadly. The gap between M43 and the latest phones using computational photography has shrunk considerably.

I'll continue to use my two Oly bodies until they cease to function.

I think MFT is the best thing since sliced bread so do a lot of other users but I fear for it's future.

5 hours ago, philjay said:

I think MFT is the best thing since sliced bread so do a lot of other users but I fear for it's future.

Hopefully the cost of lenses will come down!